Adding Lost Records Back To A Database (1 Viewer)

main-man

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:58
Hi

I was wondering if any one could help me.

I have a database at work with 5500 records, how ever the first 1000 have been lost. There remains records for each customer but the first 1000 records showing what they ordered have disapeared.

I have back ups of the database going back with the first 1000 records complete.

How would i take the 1000 records and add this to the current database where the information is missing? so it wouldnt mess up recent records?
could some one provide me with a step by step account. Would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

Jibbadiah

James
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:58
Main-man,

It sounds like you haven't used db's much.
This should be relatively simple.

1. You could do an "unmatched" query through the wizard, and then change this to an update query. This allows you to select all the records from one table which don't exist in another.

2. Alternately, you could just ensure that you have your primary key applied. Copy the back-up database table. Right click your existing table and choose paste append. It will only append the records that don't already exist.

HTH.

James

main-man

Registered User.
Local time
thanks James i shall try this

main-man

Registered User.
Local time
Hi i did what u said but it wont match them? it seems to conflict? :(

any idea of what to do?

Thanks

Jibbadiah

James
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:58
Here is a short description of what I would do.

Copy your existing db as a back-up before you make any changes. Zip it and leave it in case you make a mistake.

Copy the back-up table to your current database and call it by a different name. You can import it to your current db, or you can just rename it first and then copy and paste.

Open the existing table in design view. You should have the primary key applied to a field which has a unique value. If you don't, then you should add one now. Select the field and press the button which an image of a key on it.

Select your backup table and right click. Select copy. Click into the table tab, without selecting anything and right click and select paste.

Type in the existing table name and select the "append data to existing table" option. then click ok.

It should paste all records to your existing table. In doing this 4,500 records won't be appended due to the primary key, but the 1,000 that you were missing will be appended.

This should work. If it doesn't then it is likely that your back-up table is a different format to your current table.

Get back to me if you require further help.

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom