ADE. (1 Viewer)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:30
Hi. Did you try to Compile your project? Go to Debug > Compile and make sure to fix any errors.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 15:30
Works for me, though I did do a compile just in case you had errors?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hmm... I downloaded your file, and it let me create this.

PS. Oops, same as what @Gasman said.

N1234

Local time
Today, 11:30
I don't see "Compile" in my debug menu, the only thing I see is "run/searchform". Are you guys saving the Database as a ACCDE using "make ACCDE under "file". It's still not working for me.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I don't see "Compile" in my debug menu, the only thing I see is "run/searchform". Are you guys saving the Database as a ACCDE using "make ACCDE under "file". It's still not working for me.
Which version of Access are you using? I had to go to File > Save & Publish.

N1234

Local time
Ok I compiled the project and I didn't get a error.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Works for me with or without compiling first.
Check Task Manager to see if you have a left over instance of the db still running. I don't suppose it's a trusted location issue seeing as how the error indicates the file is in use.
Or is it a single db that you've shared and someone else has it open?

N1234

Local time
It's a single db. I just checked the task manager and there's no leftover instance that I see is running.

I'm really at a loss for words.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Don't know if you rebooted in between the time it wouldn't work and the time that it did just now or what. Unless you are sharing it, then I have no other ideas. If you are sharing it, then it's a possibility that someone closed it in the meantime. If not sharing, then I don't know, but would suggest that you implement some sort of periodic (daily?) backup of the back end after splitting it. You are running the risk of losing ALL of your data in an unsplit db, especially one that raised such an issue at the outset.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Admittedly I only have 2007, but I always use Database Tools/Make Accde after compiling to make sure no errors.

N1234

Local time
Thanks a bunch for your help everyone. I'll see if I can think of a few other ideas and try them out.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Whilst it also worked for me saving as ACCDE using Access 365, a couple of other things you could try.
1. Go through your code and remove any procedures with no code. In some versions this can prevent compiling to ACCDE.
2. Try decompiling your project which will remove any corrupted compilation code. It will only take a couple of seconds.
Before doing so, make a backup. Afterwards, recompile then compact.
For further info, see https://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/Performance/Decompile.asp

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:30
My question is whether you opened the DB in exclusive mode in order to make the .ACCDE? I don't know that it should make a difference, but one BIG difference is that when a file is truly opened in Exclusive mode (successfully), it doesn't have a lock file. (Doesn't need one.) Or at least, it didn't used to need one for that case.

If it is looking at the lock file, seeing but not expecting it, that might explain the error. But if that is wrong then I don't know because I so rarely ever had to do anything with .ACCDE files.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Doc
There is no need to open a database exclusively to create an ACCDE

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
1. Go through your code and remove any procedures with no code. In some versions this can prevent compiling to ACCDE.

Thanks Colin,
I didn't know That!

By the way is this why later versions of MS Access automatically remove code stubs that you don't implement?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 23:30
goto VBA and Compile your db.
did you see the error? this is the reason why it is an accde is not being created, the error.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks Colin,
I didn't know That!

By the way is this why later versions of MS Access automatically remove code stubs that you don't implement?

I only found out about it recently. I think from an old thread here at AWF.
I had forgotten that Access does now delete empty procedures which presumably is for the same reason.
Good to know that now happens automatically
I wonder which version first introduced that code correction?

@arnelgp
Although compile errors do of course prevent an ACCDE file being created, there are no compile errors in the OP's project as was stated earlier in post #8

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom