All good fun? (1 Viewer)

R

Rich

Brianwarnock said:
Rich
I never said anything about your views on foxhunting, I said that you were a comedian for suggesting that politicians were sensible people who do the right thing.
Brian

I don't subscribe to that and never have, however politicians have taken this stance since the mid 1960s, given that their numbers have turned over in the thousands since then even you must admit that they can't all be wrong or not supportive of their electorate over such a long period.

by shooting in the suburbs.

are you seriously suggesting we have hunters armed to the teeth in the suburbs, hell don't the Yanks have enough problems with their gun culture?

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
Today, 07:52
jsanders said:
Hey Lisa,

I’m afraid you are misinterpreting the data on deer.

It is not that we have taken their space, we have added to it significantly. And we have provided them with fewer ways to die.

As was stated earlier in this thread, deer are edge dwellers. We have added millions of miles of edge land to the US in the last hundred years or so. That coupled with the fact that we eliminated the Grey Wolf and the Blow Fly have added to the population. And lastly the vegetation cultivated by humans is richer than the indigenous fauna.

Here is a mathematical theses for the herd. There are something like 10,000,000 more deer in the US then there was when Columbus came over. Now let us suppose that in any given year there is only enough winter food for 90% of the herd. You would naturally conclude that 10% would die, unfortunately that figure would be off by a considerable margin.

Here’s why. Without the hunt all of the deer would feed on the winter food throughout the fall and into winter. The entire food supply will be exhausted 90% through the winter, leaving most deer without food, so as you can see many more than 10% would die off.

And I think anyone would agree being shot is preferable to starvation.

I stand corrected. I should have read the whole thread, but it was pretty long, and the back and forth from one topic to the next sometimes gives me a headache. :p

I understand the issue, and yet, I still see it as our fault this all occurs. I still don't have a better solution, but I would hope if humans become an overpopulated species (as I believe they are), I wouldn't just get shot, walking out to my mailbox. That would suck. :)

Lisa

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom