All good fun? (1 Viewer)

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
Today, 04:41
dan-cat said:
I can't speak for where you live but deer hunting seasons are strictly enforced in our community. Hunting season amounts to approx 2 months in the year and not all of this time are you allowed to use a gun. They also have miles upon miles of habitat to live in and a bunch of friendly rangers who make sure no-one is breaking the law. I should know - I get to watch the rangers chase four-wheelers speed past my house in the middle of the night. :p

In my area, there is a park near the lake where the deer population has swelled, and because the deer run into the road and hurt poor humans and their cars, they have a "bait and shoot" program. This is not hunting, but is legally sanctioned to manage the deer population. So because of suburban sprawl, we have to kill the deer because they are in our way, eat our gardens, run into our roads, etc. I want to know why no one is giving any thought as to how it got this way, and how, humanely, it can be reversed. I also hear of this type of thing in other countries where civilization encroaches on the habitats of wild animals, so they start killing the wild animals to protect the humans. Who died and made us God? Just because we don't treat the Earth and all of its inhabitants with any respect, why should we determine what lives and dies?

Just MHO

Lisa

selenau837

Can still see y'all......
Local time
lmnop7854 said:
In my area, there is a park near the lake where the deer population has swelled, and because the deer run into the road and hurt poor humans and their cars, they have a "bait and shoot" program. This is not hunting, but is legally sanctioned to manage the deer population. So because of suburban sprawl, we have to kill the deer because they are in our way, eat our gardens, run into our roads, etc. I want to know why no one is giving any thought as to how it got this way, and how, humanely, it can be reversed. I also hear of this type of thing in other countries where civilization encroaches on the habitats of wild animals, so they start killing the wild animals to protect the humans. Who died and made us God? Just because we don't treat the Earth and all of its inhabitants with any respect, why should we determine what lives and dies?

Just MHO

Lisa

Not only do they hurt 'poor humans' as you stated, they hurt themselves if not taken care of. The population does swell and their food source is reduced. So instead of us shooting them and killing them quickly, are you saying we need to leave them alone and let them starve to death. To me it is more humane to kill them quickly.

People have no problem killing rats, or other hidious creatures, but deer ohh no don't hurt bambi. It is the same thing in my eyes.

KenHigg

Local time
selenau837 said:
... To me it is more humane to kill them quickly.

People have no problem killing rats, or other hidious creatures, but deer ohh no don't hurt bambi. It is the same thing in my eyes.

You go girl ;)

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
Today, 03:41
Colin,

If using a hakapik or a rifle isn't effective enough in killing the seals, what do you suggest they use? I'm assuming that the hunters believe these are the most efficient ways to hunt these seals, so this is the method they use.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Hey Lisa,

I’m afraid you are misinterpreting the data on deer.

It is not that we have taken their space, we have added to it significantly. And we have provided them with fewer ways to die.

As was stated earlier in this thread, deer are edge dwellers. We have added millions of miles of edge land to the US in the last hundred years or so. That coupled with the fact that we eliminated the Grey Wolf and the Blow Fly have added to the population. And lastly the vegetation cultivated by humans is richer than the indigenous fauna.

Here is a mathematical theses for the herd. There are something like 10,000,000 more deer in the US then there was when Columbus came over. Now let us suppose that in any given year there is only enough winter food for 90% of the herd. You would naturally conclude that 10% would die, unfortunately that figure would be off by a considerable margin.

Here’s why. Without the hunt all of the deer would feed on the winter food throughout the fall and into winter. The entire food supply will be exhausted 90% through the winter, leaving most deer without food, so as you can see many more than 10% would die off.

And I think anyone would agree being shot is preferable to starvation.

Last edited:

selenau837

Local time
jsanders said:
Hey Lisa,

I’m afraid you are misinterpreting the data on deer.

It is not that we have taken their space we have added to it significantly. And we have provided them with fewer ways to die.

As was stated earlier in this thread, deer are edge dwellers. We have added millions of miles of edge land to the US in the last hundred years or so. That coupled with the fact that we eliminated the Grey Wolf and the Blow Fly have added to the population. And lastly the vegetation cultivated by humans is richer than the indigenous fauna.

Here is a mathematical theses for the herd. There are something like 10,000,000 more deer in the US then there was when Columbus came over. Now let us suppose that in any given year there is only enough winter food for 90% of the herd. You would naturally conclude that 10% would die, unfortunately that figure would be off by a considerable margin.

Here’s why. Without the hunt all of the deer would feed on the winter food throughout the fall and into winter. The entire food supply will be exhausted 90% through the winter, leaving most deer without food, so as you can see many more than 10% would die off.

And I think anyone would agree being shot is preferable to starvation.

Thanks for giving the numbers. It appears we agree on this fact. I guess there is hope for us yet J. :D

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Here are my thoughts on car wrecks with deer. In most cases the human is responsible for the crash. In the vast majority of car crashes with deer, the deer will stand by the road frozen by the light prier to the crash. At the last second the deer will disern movement and instinct will take over. But the deer will be confused by the moving light and will leap forward into the moving vehicle. Rarely will a deer run out from behind a bush as so many drivers claim.

Too avoid hitting a deer is easy. If you see one on the side of the road ahead, first slow down, next start honking your horn in short little beeps. This will allow the deer to use sound instead of confused sight to avoid running out in front of you.

Use this method and it may save your life.

KenHigg

Local time
jsanders said:
Here are my thoughts on car wrecks with deer. In most cases the human is responsible for the crash. In the vast majority of car crashes with deer, the deer will stand by the road frozen by the light prier to the crash. At the last second the deer will disern movement and instinct will take over. But the deer will be confused by the moving light and will leap forward into the moving vehicle. Rarely will a deer run out from behind a bush as so many drivers claim.

Too avoid hitting a deer is easy. If you see one on the side of the road ahead, first slow down, next start honking your horn in short little beeps. This will allow the deer to use sound instead of confused sight to avoid running out in front of you.

Use this method and it may save your life.

Pardon my being blunt, but in my case, you are dead wrong on all accounts. Never saw the deer. One second, no deer, the next second bam. Now I may have been the exception, but anywho...:) :)

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
KenHigg said:
Pardon my being blunt, but in my case, you are dead wrong on all accounts. Never saw the deer. One second, no deer, the next second bam. Now I may have been the exception, but anywho...:) :)

Ken, you noticed I said in most cases.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:41
KenHigg said:

Now there was me thinking you could spot a deer a mile off. Some hunter you are :rolleyes: :p

selenau837

Local time
dan-cat said:
Now there was me thinking you could spot a deer a mile off. Some hunter you are :rolleyes: :p

That's generally only when you have a scope on your rifle. :D

KenHigg

Local time
dan-cat said:

Funny thing is I drive a hour to the club, spend endless hours in a tree stand in the freezing weather, never seeing anything, the bam one jumps in front of me 2 miles from the busiest airport in the world... Go figure :mad:

selenau837

Local time
KenHigg said:
Funny thing is I drive a hour to the club, spend endless hours in a tree stand in the freezing weather, never seeing anything, the bam one jumps in front of me 2 miles from the busiest airport in the world... Go figure :mad:

It was heading to the airport to take a trip to the UK, they hear there are not guns there. Hoping to start a family in the safe enviroment. :D

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:41
jsanders said:
so you can make 1700 yard shots, open sights?

Nah I'm joshing with ya... couldn't hit a basketball with a boat paddle:p

KenHigg

Local time
selenau837 said:
It was heading to the airport to take a trip to the UK, they hear there are not guns there. Hoping to start a family in the safe enviroment. :D

Aren't you the witty one today...:) :)

selenau837

Local time
KenHigg said:
Aren't you the witty one today...:) :)

Ahhh, thanks for the compliment. However I've always been, just no one noticed before. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom