And the hits just keep on comin'... (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:52
I use a reference to the MS Scripting Runtime in almost all of my applications. I am doomed:(

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I use a reference to the MS Scripting Runtime in almost all of my applications. I am doomed:(
Ditto. I have been slowly weaning myself off of Scripting and VBScript - converting them to PowerShell - for sometime. Looks like I may have to speed up the process.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I dunno, but I wonder if this is somehow related to MS's move away from COM as well. The evil white-lab coat wearing scientists at MS are up to no good...

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Access is always the invisible man. The people who make these decisions don't even recognize Access as a lifeform.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:52
Doesn't this affect the File System Object? I thought it was also in the Windows Scripting library. Someone needs to (as the article says) "roll a hand grenade" into Microsoft's product managers.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 15:52
Yes, it impacts Dictionaries and the FSO, among others I think.

We work so hard to combat the "Access is dying" myth and then MS sort of contributes to the narrative by shopping off bits and pieces.

Edgar_

Local time
Today, 17:52
I wonder why these forums don't have some initiative to invite all users to send petitions to MS. Look at how much development is dedicated to Excel.

I discussed something similar in another forum, the limitations of Access probably relate to its clientele not asking for the features. But there seems to be a strong belief in these communities that its code and architecture is some sort of unmovable entity, I really don't understand why. MS has the resources to make Access the best choice, to rewrite stuff, incorporate what is needed, but how are they going to make such a decision when nobody is asking for it? If you were in charge of making Access profitable for MS, would you implement stuff nobody is asking for? Probably not.

So, why not invite the thousands of users who read this forum to directly ask for the changes, the continued development and overall improvement of the app?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 23:52
Can I stress that that although we know VBScript is being phased out, the rest is currently just speculation.

Suggest someone posts a comment about the possible implications via the Feedback Portal and then posts a link here so that others can upvote

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 15:52
I think the speculation is probably quite accurate, but you are right, it is still early days.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Suggest someone posts a comment about the possible implications via the Feedback Portal
I don't think they want to hear from us any more. The Feedback button seems to be gone from the backstage. I thought it was on the Account page. But I don't see it on any page.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
It may well be accurate but both Mike Wolfe and Jan Karel Pieterse did say they had no evidence that FSO, RegEx etc would be affected.
Somehow that got 'lost' in the overall thrust of the article.

Perhaps relevant is that fact that IE has been deprecated but the IE browser control will be available until at least 2029, by which time nobody will care when its deprecated as well.

The feedback portal link is still available in Access. Click the Help tab in the ribbon then Feedback and choose the best option.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@isladogs Do you still see the Feedback option or have I lost my mind? I used it less than a month ago and I can't find it any more.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Yes. 😁
I checked before replying just in case it has been moved/removed.

1698957757670.png

For info, I've also asked the Access team for clarification on this issue.
When I get an answer, I will respond in this thread providing doing so doesn't break NDA (non disclosure agreement)

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
We work so hard to combat the "Access is dying" myth and then MS sort of contributes to the narrative by shopping off bits and pieces.
Do you ever wonder whether MS are trying to tell you something, George! :oops:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks, I have never used it from there. For me, it has been on either the Info tab or the Account tab, I don't remember which. Has it been on the help tab for long? Are you sure they're not just moving it around every few releases so we stop using it;)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
LOL!
Its been there for several years but there's also a Help Improve Office button on the menu bar which does the same thing

1699027563948.png

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not in my world.
1699028177295.png

Also notice how they don't follow their own accessibility rules. The QAT is unreadable with this theme. But they show me my picture. How nice:( The children must have proposed that "improvement".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom