Angry Pmt function syntax error that will not be appeased! (1 Viewer)

aliglo

Local time
Today, 03:25
Hello all! I have an Access Query syntax error as a result of formatting my Pmt function in a query that I cannot resolve. Specifically I am attempting to answer a question using the Pmt function for an assignment, and it is killing me that I cannot figure it out successfully.

The question is: Create another calculated field named TuitionPayments that uses the payment function and determines tuition paid in four installments. The student’s tuition payment and a 2.5% interest rate should be used in the function. Use 0 for the future_value and type arguments.

What I have inputted via the Expression Builder in the proper cell of the query is: TuitionPayments: «Expr» Pmt(.025, 4, [TuitionDue], 0, 0)

I am really wanting to learn! Am I way off base here? Should I have used brackets or parenthesis somewhere/somehow? Why is the error "The expression you entered contains invalid syntax" for what I inputted, when I followed the expression builder for both rate and num_periods (TuitionDue is the field that should be used for present_value, and of course there is type and future_value which I have both at 0).

YES, this is an assignment, but I so want to learn what I am doing here! I would appreciate any advice or insight!

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 03:25
TuitionPayments: «Expr» Pmt(.025, 4, [TuitionDue], 0, 0)
1. «Expr» is a place holder. You are supposed to put your expression there. So make it go away.
2. Is PMT is a public function? Can you post it?
3. If PMT is a function then it looks correct to me. Assuming you are supposed to pass in 5 values: .025,4,Tuition Due, 0,0

TuitionPayments: Pmt(.025, 4, [TuitionDue], 0, 0)

Without seeing the PMT function I cannot tell if that is correct.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:25
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Are you able to share a copy of your db?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 15:25
remove <<Expr>> from your query:

TuitionPayments: Pmt(.025, 4, -[TuitionDue], 0, 0)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 00:25
The expression builder is worthless IMHO. It is a far cry from what it appears to be, a user-friendly way to actually have the system help you figure out how to build an expression.

I would ditch the expression builder and go straight to the horse's mouth.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:25
The expression builder is worthless IMHO. It is a far cry from what it appears to be, a user-friendly way to actually have the system help you figure out how to build an expression.

I would ditch the expression builder and go straight to the horse's mouth.

In our Navy IT department, we usually got our advice from the other end of the horse. (He was a rear admiral.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom