Any idea why the navigation pane has changed the color (1 Viewer)

nector

Local time
Today, 17:46
All of the sadden the navigation pane has changed its color from white to grey , any idea to get back the white color in Microsoft Access

Color grey.png

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:46
See the similar threads at the bottom of the page.

LarryE

Local time
Today, 08:46
Microsoft pushed an update. Property windows are grey too.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
This one is supposed to have been reversed. Make sure your updates are current.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 15:46
This one is supposed to have been reversed. Make sure your updates are current.
Are you sure about that George?
I remember being told that the interface appearance might evolve further but not that this change would be reversed.

Anyway, I've just run the latest 365 update to 15128.20248 and its still the same shade of grey

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I know why MS done it....

They know all MS Access programmers are becoming old, senile and can't see properly. They've changed it to grey to make it more difficult to read the words, forcing you to use the disability enhancement tools.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
And the disability enhancement tools suck big time. I've tried them. The children are into fashionable grey with no contrast and don't understand that contrast is the key for most vision problems.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Are forum members🕵️‍♂️🕵️‍♀️ really the Microsoft QA team? Seems a lot gets by those performing/assuring the official release.
I have same release as Colin referenced.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm pretty sure that Access doesn't get much user testing. After all, MS completely ignores it in their marketing material so the important people don't even know that Access exists or what it does.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Are you sure about that George?
I remember being told that the interface appearance might evolve further but not that this change would be reversed.

Anyway, I've just run the latest 365 update to 15128.20248 and its still the same shade of grey
I may be conflating bugs. To be honest, I've pretty much lost interest in keeping track. I leave that to Daniel Pineault, you and others.

Not that we have any shortage of new bugs....

I got a call from an old client last Friday, asking me to come out of retirement to help troubleshoot a puzzling new error in a venerable database he'd built. It turned out that it was one of the 2022 bugs that had just made its way into whatever update channel he is on.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Ha!
Not sure the '50 shades of grey feature' really counts as a bug.
Whilst nobody seems to like it, that's doesn't make it a bug ... at least not in my opinion.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Anything that impedes usability should be considered a bug whether it was intentionally inflicted upon us or accidently.

If no one in this group likes the 50 shades of grey, just what kind of users are they running these things by? Clearly no one who is even slightly visually impaired or just plain old.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
50 shades of Grey? Something I perspired to when I was younger...

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not sure if it's a bug, but, if not, then an apparent irritant to many with no communication from Microsoft.
A surprise; a gift; a new feature; a glitch; a distraction......?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Not sure if it's a bug, but, if not, then an apparent irritant to many with no communication from Microsoft.

I have a theory derived from the actions of our local council.

A few years ago a craze swept the country, making pedestrianised areas everywhere.

I suspect somebody created a pedestrianised area in a needy place, and I also suspect they did a really good job.

An up-and-coming council official saw it, decides that they need to make a name for themselves. They decide to pedestrianised something!

In Newbury's case at one end of the high Street we have a roundabout with a covered Victorian seating area. Think of a bandstand, but with a kiosk sized room in the centre, with seats around for people to sit on.

It was a roundabout on a T-junction and you could drive up the high street, around the roundabout and back down the high Street.

However the official decided to pave one side into a pedestrian area, move the road over so that both lanes "up and down" were on one side of the roundabout.

Now pedestrians could get to this seating area without having to cross a road.

A few years later they decided to pedestrianise the whole high Street so now we have a lovely Victorian roundabout which has been made into an abomination for no good reason, other than some council official got some kudos..

I can imagine the same sort of scenario playing out in a large organisation like Microsoft, we can do this, we can do that, with no real thought into the implications. Just a reason to spend money and get someone promoted....

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time

I reported it to Microsoft on 2 May and got a reply from a member of the Access team later the same day.
It wouldn't be appropriate to quote the reply but they did promise to look into the issues I had reported.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:46
Darn it, Colin, you KNOW you got everyone curious, so since I have no internal censor for such things, I'll ask.

WHY do you think it would be inappropriate to quote or at least paraphrase the reply?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I reported it to MS using a private email group and the reply from the Access team member was addressed to me but sent to that whole group.
Several other AWF members involved in this thread also receive emails from that group,

In fact, I did paraphrase part of the answer which also referred to evolving changes in Access visuals. That may or may not be a good thing 😏

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Change for the sake of change drives most of us batty and leaves open the door for new bugs caused with not even a smidgen of functionality improvement as a reward. I have a list of useful changes should they be interested in process improvement rather than virtue signaling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom