Any Solicitors on the forum in the uk (1 Viewer)

alastair69

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:15
Dear All,

If you are a solicitor within the uk and deal in landlord and tenant agreements, could you please help me.

As i was a tenant of a property and the landlord has changed the locks and has lock all my belongings in the flat, i would like to know how i can get my stuff back.

Any ideas would be good.

Kind Regards

Alastair Lane

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 09:15
alastair69 said:
Dear All,

If you are a solicitor within the uk and deal in landlord and tenant agreements, could you please help me.

As i was a tenant of a property and the landlord has changed the locks and has lock all my belongings in the flat, i would like to know how i can get my stuff back.

Any ideas would be good.

Kind Regards

Alastair Lane

Have you tried a bulldozer?

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
What have you done to make them lock your stuff in? Are you late on your rent?

alastair69

Registered User.
Local time
I left my job on monday, and i agreed with my boss to leave the flat on friday at 4pm, and on friday at 2:45 he changed the locks, so i could not remove any of my person belongings.

Regards

Alastair

alastair69

Registered User.
Local time
I know i should have one, but no matter how often i asked he would not give me one.

R

Rich

alastair69 said:
I know i should have one, but no matter how often i asked he would not give me one.
Then you are actually a sitting tenant, the landlord has broken the law, go to the police and report him. In fact if you were so minded you could sue him for an illegal eviction

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 15:15
alastair69 said:
As i was a tenant of a property and the landlord has changed the locks and has lock all my belongings in the flat.......

Rich said:
Not the same, that poster had a tenancy agreement.

But how can one be a tenant without an agreement. There must be something in writing which would validate renting the property ?

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Lovely time of year for it.

If you have nothing in writing and youre struff is still in there - I think you are still the tenant of the flat. Therefore you could call the police around and ask them to help you break in as you have lost the keys and the landlord won't supply them.

Of course the landlord may come round and object - saying you have already left - which is ok too - a resonable solution would then be for him to allow you in to collect your stuff. I would have thought not allowing this could be thought of as theft. Anyhow the fact the police are round there and can see the landlord not being reasonable - can only be in you favour.

Hopefully he will see sense and just let you take your stuff. You could pretend you have personal safefty fears from the landlord to make it a little more meaty for the coppers to attend.

I don't undersatnd the landlords motive here if you have done everything you should of done other than theft of your belongings - so get the police out.

You could also consider breaking in to get your stuff - if there is nothing in writing regardling the tenancy then the fact that your stuff is there would indicate you are still the tenant and have the right to get into your own home.

Good luck and make sure you fuck the plumbing up and leave a couple of fish to rot under the floorboards before you leave and put your foot through everything possible.

This does seem to be a strange tale however as you have made no mention of him keeping your deposit which I guess he would have done too!

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I suspect the lawyer would be of little use at all!

alastair69

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for all your help i have read your comments, and am currtely think my options for my next move.

No deposit was teken from me as my boss was the landlord and my employer, after visting the citizans advice i have some leads to explorer, but it looks like i will be with out my belongings for some time, i do not want to break in as i need to remain on the right side of the law.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
You could look at http://www.rentamatic.co.uk I would still call the police immediately and hope your boss and yourself find a better solution. Explain the landlord wants you out and you are happy to go if you could get your stuff - otherwise as far as you are concerned you are still the tenant and want to get in - which I think is you right.

The longer its left the less chance you have of getting anything out of it.

I strongly recommend the police! Again good luck

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Definitely call the police before it's too late. Obviously your landlord/boss has no interest in working with you, and you have no interest of working with him anymore, so call the police, what do you have to lose?

I don't know about the laws in the UK, but in the US, if you have your mail delievered to an address, you are legally a tenant in that address, regardless of any contracts/agreements and cannot be kicked out without proper eviction notice and timeline, no matter how badly a roommate or landlord wants you out, and you certainly cannot be locked out without access to your own belongings.

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Today, 22:45
Pauldohert said:
leave a couple of fish to rot under the floorboards before you leave

Prawn heads inside the curtain rods :D

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:15
A couple of points here.

1. It seems that the property was tied to your job. This may significantly change things as access to the property may be essential to the function of the job you left. Whether that makes a legal difference or not, I don't know but there was a complaint amongst landowners when agricultural workers got rights for their tied cottages etc.

2. I used to be a landlord in the UK (Scotland). I think laws are slighlty different but conceptualy similar. Once you are in a property you are normally a tennant. If no written lease is produced, then you have all the aces in your hand as the landlord is forced to use whatever the courts dictate to him i.e. he could be faced with a sitting tennent. Once you are a sitting tennent, it is almost impossible to raise rent, evict or any other of a host of things a Landlord might legitimately want to do.

In your case, you may not have been paying rent, in which case you may not have been a tennent. All other things being equal however, the Landlord acted illegally and the police will litterally lock him up for this. The courts are extremely serious about tennent rights and the landlord will be in a world of grief if you report him.

Assuming that you were a tenant, I would definitely report him. Also, depending on your ability to get other accommodation, present to the local authority as homeless and they will be obliged to accomodate you. It is likely that they would report the landlord themselves I think.

Hope things work out for you.

manix

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:15
Just stumbled accross this one and wondered what the outcome was?

KenHigg

Local time
...I don't know about the laws in the UK, but in the US, if you have your mail delievered to an address, you are legally a tenant in that address, ....

I think I'll have mine forwarded to Pennsylvania Ave :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom