Appearance of ColumnHistory output (1 Viewer)

gakiss2

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:34
I found this answer by DBGuy from a few years ago:
1590179274356.png

Works great. Now I would like to remove the time stamp and/or change the date/time format so that it is shortened up. I love the feature, just don't want to use up all that real estate. I had tried doing surgery on it with Mid text string operator but got an error. I could try to recreate what I did if anyone thinks it should work and I had just made typo. Also, I don't like doing all this inside a property window and would rather do it in vba code if that is a possibility. So Much Thanks to theDBguy for getting me almost there. Some background. I made a function to AddHistory which I use vba to put a message in the Note field. I use AfterUpdate on all the important fields to call this function. the end result is that I end up with a pretty good form change history. This is recording a lot of good stuff, the 'tagline' for the version history is way too long and unwieldy IMHO. Who needs seconds?? Who has SWAY with B. Gates? Someone should look at making this more customizable. Appreciate any help.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I found this answer by DBGuy from a few years ago: View attachment 82363

Works great. Now I would like to remove the time stamp and/or change the date/time format so that it is shortened up. I love the feature, just don't want to use up all that real estate. I had tried doing surgery on it with Mid text string operator but got an error. I could try to recreate what I did if anyone thinks it should work and I had just made typo. Also, I don't like doing all this inside a property window and would rather do it in vba code if that is a possibility. So Much Thanks to theDBguy for getting me almost there. Some background. I made a function to AddHistory which I use vba to put a message in the Note field. I use AfterUpdate on all the important fields to call this function. the end result is that I end up with a pretty good form change history. This is recording a lot of good stuff, the 'tagline' for the version history is way too long and unwieldy IMHO. Who needs seconds?? Who has SWAY with B. Gates? Someone should look at making this more customizable. Appreciate any help.
Hi. Thanks! The only thing I could think of right now to help manage this is maybe use Regular Expression to remove the dates. Can you post a sample db for testing?

gakiss2

Registered User.
Local time
@gakiss2
Sorry but I couldn't follow the point of your post at all.
The only thing I understood was the use of the column history property for meno fields.
In case it helps, see my article http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/column-history-memo-fields/4594523656
Sorry that I wasn't clear but it seems you were getting close to what I am looking for. in the article it showed the table and it showed the date and time column. I'd like to change the format to a shorter one. say "12/12/20 16:47". I want to make it shorter so more fits in the control.

Attachments

• Strawberry QuikV1.1.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 105

gakiss2

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Thanks! The only thing I could think of right now to help manage this is maybe use Regular Expression to remove the dates. Can you post a sample db for testing?
I could get a zipped version to fit. You won't be able to run it because it uses a backend which is very large.

Attachments

• Strawberry QuikV1.1.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 112

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:34
I don't believe its possible to modify how the column history property works.
The output is saved in a deep hidden system table to which you basically have no access.

However perhaps try editing your default date format and see if that does what you want

gakiss2

Registered User.
Local time
I don't believe its possible to modify how the column history property works.
The output is saved in a deep hidden system table to which you basically have no access.

However perhaps try editing your default date format and see if that does what you want
I looked around and ididn't see where to edit the default date format. do you know where? The only other thing I could think of would be to recreate the wheel and make your own. Create a table to hold the individual entries, add a column attaching it to the record, in my case there is a 'Document Number'. Populate a Date / Time column using NOW() then add a 'Username' column for good measure. Then add a subform built on this new table. At that point you would have complete control over its contents, appearance and etc. Should work but I was hoping there was a way using the built in column history function. thank you for your help.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The defaults date settings are set in Windows. That means any change you make will apply 'globally'.
I'm not convinced that will have any effect so you may well have to 'roll your own' in order to have complete control over the output.
To be honest, that may be a better solution anyway.

EDIT
Just tried to look at your database. You have password protected your VBA project which makes it almost impossible to look at the code. Doing that and only supplying the FE of a split database means there was absolutely no point in uploading your app.

gakiss2

Registered User.
Local time
The defaults date settings are set in Windows. That means any change you make will apply 'globally'.
I'm not convinced that will have any effect so you may well have to 'roll your own' in order to have complete control over the output.
To be honest, that may be a better solution anyway.

EDIT
Just tried to look at your database. You have password protected your VBA project which makes it almost impossible to look at the code. Doing that and only supplying the FE of a split database means there was absolutely no point in uploading your app.

Sorry, I totally forgot that I had it password protected. Also I need to make a smaller version of the BackEnd so I can upload that as well. Thanks for your patience.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Sorry, I totally forgot that I had it password protected. Also I need to make a smaller version of the BackEnd so I can upload that as well. Thanks for your patience.

Help us to help you...
Make a copy of the FE.
Remove the VBA password. It can be bypassed anyway!
Remove any database objects from the FE unrelated to this issue
Convert any linked tables needed for this issue to local and delete remaining linked tables.
That means you no longer need to upload your BE.

Delete most of the records in any remaining tables leaving just enough data for testing purposes.
Anonymise any sensitive data
Compact and zip

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom