Are you an atheist? (3 Viewers)

Are you an atheist?

• Total voters

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:35
If you don't mind lets go back to the parables....Luke 8: 1-18 We can come back to this if you want.

Again I am sorry for the confusion.

Blade

Sure, no problem. I believe the context of the conversation was that you were illustrating why the parables were not as they appear to be.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:35
Sure, no problem. I believe the context of the conversation was that you were illustrating why the parables were not as they appear to be.

I prefer Luke Ep:4 , 1977, and as such have taken up thumb wrestling my 7 year old, using the force alone.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:35
I've been hanging back for a while because I wanted to think carefully about what else I wanted to say on this topic. Blade's discussion regarding the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats is a good springboard.

I'm going to try to be clear, though I'm sure that Blade will come up with comments opposite my position anyway. Please also remember that I am in the context of someone who once was Christian but who had a deep experience that is colloquially called a "soul-searching" moment. (Even though I now question the existence of any separate entity called a "soul" in the religious sense of that word.) I am now atheist due to the results of that intense introspection and the associated meditation.

The problem with so many Bible thumpers is that they forget one of the most important parts for Christianity - that each of us must reach a personal understanding with God. This is because when it comes to our relationships and eventual judgment, we will stand alone before God to justify our choices. (See, for example, the book of Esdras, chapters 1-3, describing the recurring dream-visions of the prophet Esdras. This is in the Apocrypha, for those of you whose religion discards those particular books.)

When Blade comes along (and by extension, any other preacher, evangelist, acolyte, or religious zealot) to tell us what the Bible means, this is in essence an attempt to interfere with our own attempts to reach a "comfort zone" or a "personal understanding" - and it does more harm than good to exhort people accusing them of misunderstanding.

This is true, I think, because while Christianity claims that the Bible is the inspired word of God, there is no guarantee that someone else's interpretation is divinely inspired at all. In fact, given the varied number of interpretations we see from the various sects and denominations, we would have to come to the conclusion that a very large percentage of those interpretations must NOT be divinely inspired because of the rampant nature of religions doctrine arguments that we can find. When someone offers to interpret the Bible for us, they are attempting to stop us from thinking for ourselves - which COULD be an impediment to reaching that personal relationship. When someone tries to think for us and exert their claim of "expertise" in worship, they are seeking a form of power that is anything but divinely inspired.

Blade, your interpretation of the parables is a case in point. There are those who would agree with you regarding hidden meanings - and others who say that the meanings are not hidden at all. The "alternate" meanings are just someone blowing smoke as an attempt to gather followers, done in the supreme arrogance of a belief that the smoke blower is "holier than thou" or in some other way is "special" and therefore above the normal rules of society that gives us INDIVIDUAL freedom of religion.

Take the parable of the sower and the seeds, which I will paraphrase for brevity. Someone asks why the farmer sows seeds on poor ground as well as fertile ground. He answers that each plot of ground gives as it can, and it is not his place to judge that there is anything wrong with spreading the seeds broadly. The interpretation can be that you spread the word to all and know that some will listen and understand well; others will listen and understand with difficulty; and others will listen without understanding - but there is no reason to exclude ANYONE from the teachings, since it is not your call to withhold the word from ANYONE. Nor is it your place to condemn anyone for doing the best he can with a difficult problem. Now... are you going to contradict me on that interpretation?

Of course, you should know that it works both ways... those of us who have been awakened to the hollow promises and platitudes of the Bible point out the weaknesses and inconsistencies. We know that some will listen and begin to think for themselves; others will listen and at least ask a few hard questions; and some will refuse to hear that which was actually said.

In closing, Blade, understand that I firmly believe in your right to think as you do, but I do not agree with the ideas you spread when you start interpreting things to push us hard to your way of thinking. You say we face eternal damnation unless we do things your way - but your interpretations and those of the Methodists do not match. When I was still Methodist, we believed that if you spoke the words but didn't live the life, you were what the McCarthy era called a "parlor pink" - in essence, a dissident in hiding. If you want your salvation, you have to back up your claims of belief with charitable actions because (not necessarily a Biblical phrase, but...) actions speak louder than words.

Therefore, Blade, I would submit for your consideration that, even if you dislike me being a source of religious viewpoints, there is a very large group of Protestant denominations out there, Methodism being one of them, who would vigorously disagree with the way you presented your interpretation of the sheep and goats.

Try to get past the point of disagreeing with my current beliefs. Realize that I have walked both sides of that fence, so I'm not blind to the teachings. I just don't agree with their root belief. Look at my message on its merits, not on the leanings of its author. Recognize that I'm trying to raise a serious point about the difference between thinking for yourself and being a blind sheep who can easily be led astray by a shepherd whose main goal is to see how much wool he can shear from his flock.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:35
I've been hanging back for a while because I wanted to think carefully about what else I wanted to say on this topic. Blade's discussion regarding the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats is a good springboard.
I'm going to try to be clear, though I'm sure that Blade will come up with comments opposite my position anyway. Please also remember that I am in the context of someone who once was Christian but who had a deep experience that is colloquially called a "soul-searching" moment. (Even though I now question the existence of any separate entity called a "soul" in the religious sense of that word.) I am now atheist due to the results of that intense introspection and the associated meditation.
The problem with so many Bible thumpers is that they forget one of the most important parts for Christianity - that each of us must reach a personal understanding with God. This is because when it comes to our relationships and eventual judgment, we will stand alone before God to justify our choices. (See, for example, the book of Esdras, chapters 1-3, describing the recurring dream-visions of the prophet Esdras. This is in the Apocrypha, for those of you whose religion discards those particular books.
Hi Doc.
I thought that what I was doing was telling those on this thread that the Choice was between them and God. I am sorry you feel I have side stepped that point.
As far as the book of Esdras is not a part of the Bible, there is a good reason why it is not! Another discussion another time if you wish?

When Blade comes along (and by extension, any other preacher, evangelist, acolyte, or religious zealot) to tell us what the Bible means, this is in essence an attempt to interfere with our own attempts to reach a "comfort zone" or a "personal understanding" - and it does more harm than good to exhort people accusing them of misunderstanding.
I have tried only to answer questions!!! and set the record straight for those that have different opinion. Don't you agree that more than one opinion is better? Again, It is personal as you say and my 'preaching' is that the Bible itself is a divine creation and can be proved!

This is true, I think, because while Christianity claims that the Bible is the inspired word of God, there is no guarantee that someone else's interpretation is divinely inspired at all. In fact, given the varied number of interpretations we see from the various sects and denominations, we would have to come to the conclusion that a very large percentage of those interpretations must NOT be divinely inspired because of the rampant nature of religions doctrine arguments that we can find. When someone offers to interpret the Bible for us, they are attempting to stop us from thinking for ourselves - which COULD be an impediment to reaching that personal relationship. When someone tries to think for us and exert their claim of "expertise" in worship, they are seeking a form of power that is anything but divinely inspired.
I agree with you here to some extent Doc. I don't want you to stop thinking and have made it clear many times, that it is between you and God. I get nothing from it and I certainly do not have nor do I want power over anyone else.

It is a FREE Choice only you can make regardless of the "soul searching" moment you had and evidently you have already made it.

Blade, your interpretation of the parables is a case in point. There are those who would agree with you regarding hidden meanings - and others who say that the meanings are not hidden at all. The "alternate" meanings are just someone blowing smoke as an attempt to gather followers, done in the supreme arrogance of a belief that the smoke blower is "holier than thou" or in some other way is "special" and therefore above the normal rules of society that gives us INDIVIDUAL freedom of religion.

There are those that are not as "enlightened" as you are. If there were only interpretations out there like yours, Frothy's or ALC, etc., the others in this thread might take it that those interpretations is all there is. Again, is multiple opinions better than only ONE or had you rather just have only one.

Take the parable of the sower and the seeds, which I will paraphrase for brevity. Someone asks why the farmer sows seeds on poor ground as well as fertile ground. He answers that each plot of ground gives as it can, and it is not his place to judge that there is anything wrong with spreading the seeds broadly. The interpretation can be that you spread the word to all and know that some will listen and understand well; others will listen and understand with difficulty; and others will listen without understanding - but there is no reason to exclude ANYONE from the teachings, since it is not your call to withhold the word from ANYONE. Nor is it your place to condemn anyone for doing the best he can with a difficult problem. Now... are you going to contradict me on that interpretation?

I get the feeling you are trying to make this personal Doc? Maybe I am wrong. You seem to have a grasp on the parables meaning minus one point. There are going to be those people that believe in Jesus Christ and see this parable as you stated "spreading the 'Word of God'".

However, there are those that do not believe and see it as something different while there are those that so do not like any mention of religion, they will use its words to mirror their lives. I do not,will not and can not condemn anyone to anywhere and really do not think bad of you for not believing. After all it is your choice and it is very personal.

Of course, you should know that it works both ways... those of us who have been awakened to the hollow promises and platitudes of the Bible point out the weaknesses and inconsistencies. We know that some will listen and begin to think for themselves; others will listen and at least ask a few hard questions; and some will refuse to hear that which was actually said.

PROMISES? what promises, There is only one promise and that is if you believe in Jesus Christ, you shall not die but live forever.

In closing, Blade, understand that I firmly believe in your right to think as you do, but I do not agree with the ideas you spread when you start interpreting things to push us hard to your way of thinking. You say we face eternal damnation unless we do things your way - but your interpretations and those of the Methodists do not match. When I was still Methodist, we believed that if you spoke the words but didn't live the life, you were what the McCarthy era called a "parlor pink" - in essence, a dissident in hiding. If you want your salvation, you have to back up your claims of belief with charitable actions because (not necessarily a Biblical phrase, but...) actions speak louder than words.

I guess you mean by pushing hard, I am breaking you arm, threatening you or some other form of coercement that forces you to see it my way. The Bible (Word of God) states that to have an eternal life, all you have to do is believe in Jesus. I have no say in it. If the Man-made (Local) churches tell you something else then they are border of being Apostic. Believe me when I say, there are many of them out there that are where apostasy is abundant.

Therefore, Blade, I would submit for your consideration that, even if you dislike me being a source of religious viewpoints, there is a very large group of Protestant denominations out there, Methodism being one of them, who would vigorously disagree with the way you presented your interpretation of the sheep and goats.

What have you done to me to make me dislike you. Even Frothy for all of his rantings aimed me does not deserve that. Yes, there are a lot of different opinions out there and on the parables, I understand why you feel the way you do. As far as the other denominations viewpoints, I offer this. If they have strayed away from Jesus Christ, They are wrong!

Try to get past the point of disagreeing with my current beliefs. Realize that I have walked both sides of that fence, so I'm not blind to the teachings. I just don't agree with their root belief. Look at my message on its merits, not on the leanings of its author. Recognize that I'm trying to raise a serious point about the difference between thinking for yourself and being a blind sheep who can easily be led astray by a shepherd whose main goal is to see how much wool he can shear from his flock.

I too have seen the earlier teachings of the 'local' church. While I believe I am not a blind Sheep, who follows without knowing, it is evident you do. One cannot study the Bible (literally with a word for word) and come away with any different conclusion. What you can do is take verses out of context and use them to your needs.

I guess it still all comes down to a FREE Choice. Your sins have already been taken care of by His Blood at the Cross. If I am wrong (and I am not) then what do I lose but what do you lose when I am right! Again, it is your choice, strictly between you and Jesus.

LOL,,,,I'll shut up so you can go get that broken arm tended to!!!!!!!

Doc, it seems you are disturbed by my being here in this thread. I have already be told to tone it down. What are you suggesting , I leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great weekend.....They go by to fast these days.

Blade

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:35
I have tried only to answer questions!!! and set the record straight for those that have different opinion. Don't you agree that more than one opinion is better?
I have to take issue with this point. You haven't given a straight answer yet, unless I've missed it.

If you asked me why I think the earth is roughly spherical and I told you to read an atlas, then said that what's in it has a hidden meaning and actually means the opposite if you're just able to "hear" it, that isn't an acceptable answer.

Likewise, ducking questions about how liberal desires to help the needy come from a "me, me, me" anti-god standpoint by quoting bible sections that appear to prove the opposite isn't an acceptable answer.

As has often been said, if you can't explain something clearly to somebody else, then it's very doubtful you have a clear understanding of it. If you're unable to explain why you think what you think, just say so (it would explain a lot). If you are able to explain it, do so. In your own words, without copying and pasting from a book.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:35
Alc has beat me to the riposte.

As far as the book of Esdras is not a part of the Bible, there is a good reason why it is not!

Some denominations accept it; others do not. Is it or is it not part of the Bible? Depends on whom you ask.

Don't you agree that more than one opinion is better?

More than one opinion provides discussion, but having another opinion is not better if the opinion itself is not better. I expressly agree that you have the right to your opinion, but your insistence that you are right and we are wrong is the sticking point. Your statement is a matter of opinion, not a matter of fact.

PROMISES? what promises, There is only one promise and that is if you believe in Jesus Christ, you shall not die but live forever.

An promise untestable in this lifetime is worthless and is therefore not materially different from the promises made by a scam artist. Since you have to die before you find out the truth of the "live forever" promise (and if it is a sham, you don't find out because you have ceased to exist), I don't see how you can KNOW that the promise is good. All you can say is that you hope, believe, desperately WANT it to be true. But you don't KNOW it in the same sense that I know that the way to measure the force of gravity.

One cannot study the Bible (literally with a word for word) and come away with any different conclusion. What you can do is take verses out of context and use them to your needs.

1. Obviously, people CAN study the Bible word for word and come away with conclusions different than yours - because learned scholars from every denomination do that every day and have done it for years. How were schisms formed since the Martin Luther schism? How many branches and sects and cults have formed, all claiming to be Christian? I recall that at least 400 Christian denominations are registered in the USA for tax exemption purposes (religious non-profit organization status), but it could be more. I wonder how many of the non-profits are also non-prophet? But I digress...

2. Taking quotes out of context is sometimes necessary which is why I try to avoid too much cherry-picking. One does, however, have to consider relevance. To discuss the parable of the sower and the seeds as a statement chastising hard-liners for not being able to forgive and accept people whose faith doesn't quite match your own, I should not have to bring in verses from Numbers or Kings if they aren't relevant.

Where we have a problem is in cases (already pointed out in this very same thread) where four books of the Bible say different things about the same events, in some cases so different as to be irreconcilable. When someone cherry-picks one of the books and ignores the others in that case, it becomes obvious that the cherry-picker has picked the most "convenient" verse for his/her purpose.

Your sins have already been taken care of by His Blood at the Cross.

This is the crux (you should pardon the pun) of your belief and it is one of the points that I can no longer accept. I'll be more precise... WHAT sins? A forgiving God who nevertheless says I have inherited a sin from someone dead not less than 6000 years doesn't seem forgiving at all. This concept only works if you believe in the inheritance of sin - which was one of the sticking points of my previously-mentioned "soul-searching" period that occurred during my mother's long, slow descent into the dusk of Alzheimer's Disease, stage IV.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
I have to take issue with this point. You haven't given a straight answer yet, unless I've missed it.

If you asked me why I think the earth is roughly spherical and I told you to read an atlas, then said that what's in it has a hidden meaning and actually means the opposite if you're just able to "hear" it, that isn't an acceptable answer.

Likewise, ducking questions about how liberal desires to help the needy come from a "me, me, me" anti-god standpoint by quoting bible sections that appear to prove the opposite isn't an acceptable answer.

As has often been said, if you can't explain something clearly to somebody else, then it's very doubtful you have a clear understanding of it. If you're unable to explain why you think what you think, just say so (it would explain a lot). If you are able to explain it, do so. In your own words, without copying and pasting from a book.

do you have a specific question????......Your babblings told me nothing.

Please don't confuse my dislike for the Liberal Agenda because they are just that, my personal opinions and have nothing to do with the Bible or God's Word.

If the answers I gave to other questions are not acceptable to you, OK.........I did not expect such.

have a good day

Blade

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Alc has beat me to the riposte. Some denominations accept it; others do not. Is it or is it not part of the Bible? Depends on whom you ask. .
Not part of the Hebrew or Greek translations? Yes, Anglican and Lutheran Churches use it. God did not let any writings that were not of his design be in his Holy Book. However, if you want to quote from it, Fine with me.
More than one opinion provides discussion, but having another opinion is not better if the opinion itself is not better. I expressly agree that you have the right to your opinion, but your insistence that you are right and we are wrong is the sticking point. Your statement is a matter of opinion, not a matter of fact..
DOC......you are doing the same thing,,,,,,, you are insisting you are right and I am wrong. Yours opinion is no more fact than you say mine is.
An promise untestable in this lifetime is worthless and is therefore not materially different from the promises made by a scam artist. Since you have to die before you find out the truth of the "live forever" promise (and if it is a sham, you don't find out because you have ceased to exist), I don't see how you can KNOW that the promise is good. All you can say is that you hope, believe, desperately WANT it to be true. But you don't KNOW it in the same sense that I know that the way to measure the force of gravity..
I did not say you had to die before you find out the truth. And what is this of testing a promise. If someone promised you to give you a car on your 50 birthday(say it is in 10 years), How you going to test that until your 50th birthday??????????
By faith alone in Jesus Christ will get you an eternal life. Maybe I cannot prove it like proving gravity but I can prove the Bible is by divine architecture and you cannot prove that God did not make the gravity. Again we are at an impasse.
1. Obviously, people CAN study the Bible word for word and come away with conclusions different than yours - because learned scholars from every denomination do that every day and have done it for years. How were schisms formed since the Martin Luther schism? How many branches and sects and cults have formed, all claiming to be Christian? I recall that at least 400 Christian denominations are registered in the USA for tax exemption purposes (religious non-profit organization status), but it could be more. I wonder how many of the non-profits are also non-prophet? But I digress....
Again, these 'local' churches are made by man and are not God's creation. What they are doing is in order to control peoples thinking as you suggested. Me, I teach that the Bible is real and if it is real, then God is real and therefore warrants our faith in him. I do not tell you how to live or how not to live. I simply tell you that by believing in Jesus Christ, you will have everlasting life. Yes, it is that simple.
2. Taking quotes out of context is sometimes necessary which is why I try to avoid too much cherry-picking. One does, however, have to consider relevance. To discuss the parable of the sower and the seeds as a statement chastising hard-liners for not being able to forgive and accept people whose faith doesn't quite match your own, I should not have to bring in verses from Numbers or Kings if they aren't relevant..
Did I chastise you for not believing the interpretation of the parable I put forth. NO!
If you have them bring them in,,,,,,, but give me the actual book, chapter of that parable you speak of. Not quite following you there.
Where we have a problem is in cases (already pointed out in this very same thread) where four books of the Bible say different things about the same events, in some cases so different as to be irreconcilable. When someone cherry-picks one of the books and ignores the others in that case, it becomes obvious that the cherry-picker has picked the most "convenient" verse for his/her purpose...
Care to give to those of us on this thread, those four books. Of course I could speculate and say it is almost like the Olivet Discourse. That is what is wonderful about the Bible. 66 books written by 40+ authors over 2000 years and they mesh so exactly that it could only be repeated with the aid of our computers today much less written by the ignorant people of that time period. Their writings were divinely inspired.
This is the crux (you should pardon the pun) of your belief and it is one of the points that I can no longer accept. I'll be more precise... WHAT sins? A forgiving God who nevertheless says I have inherited a sin from someone dead not less than 6000 years doesn't seem forgiving at all. This concept only works if you believe in the inheritance of sin - which was one of the sticking points of my previously-mentioned "soul-searching" period that occurred during my mother's long, slow descent into the dusk of Alzheimer's Disease, stage IV.
Lets see, extrapolating the above data, I think you are saying you are without SIN! Good to know,, I guess...... So, if you are without sin, then you live in a world that lives by "moral relativism" where there is no sin and anything and everything goes according to each person.
Now before you jump down my throat, Let me say, it is fine with me. Not exactly the life style I would choose but then you are not me. I do not, would not and could not condemn you for it. It is above my pay grade.
Yes, he is loving God that forgives people of their sins in order for them to have an everlasting life. He does not want anyone to die an everlasting death.
I am sorry about the passing of your mother. Alzheimer's is the scourge of our lifetime. However, if she believed in Jesus Christ, she is already with him.

Have a great weekend, DOC.
Blade

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
do you have a specific question????......Your babblings told me nothing.

Please don't confuse my dislike for the Liberal Agenda because they are just that, my personal opinions and have nothing to do with the Bible or God's Word.
From post #5497 (still up and unedited)

Originally Posted by Bladerunner:
I get carried away from time to time,,,frustrated with the Apathy that is going on in America today. The feel-good phrases is a reference to the Me,me,me,me attitude of the Liberals.

My question (which you ducked):
I'm not in eth US so all I pick up is via news outlets, but I thought - generally speaking - it was the Liberals who wanted healthcare for all and a higher minimum wage, while the Republicans weren't in favour of either. Or did I get it the wrong way round? If I had it right, how does wanting to help the least well-off members of society equate with "me, me me"?

It does explain a lot, however, that you feel clearly-written questions in English (albeit with the word "the" misspelled) are "babble".

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
From post #5497 (still up and unedited)

Originally Posted by Bladerunner:
I get carried away from time to time,,,frustrated with the Apathy that is going on in America today. The feel-good phrases is a reference to the Me,me,me,me attitude of the Liberals.".
My question (which you ducked):
I'm not in eth US so all I pick up is via news outlets, but I thought - generally speaking - it was the Liberals who wanted healthcare for all and a higher minimum wage, while the Republicans weren't in favour of either. Or did I get it the wrong way round? If I had it right, how does wanting to help the least well-off members of society equate with "me, me me"?
It does explain a lot, however, that you feel clearly-written questions in English (albeit with the word "the" misspelled) are "babble".
Now you want me to be political! You want a higher wage...... a Pizza place in California tried it and found out......hey it don't work..... He give his employees $15/hour and had to charge $25-$30 for a pizza. He went out of business. It seems the liberals that want everybody to feel good about themselves do so at somebodies other than themselves expense.

They told us the price of healthcare would be lower.....but ObamaCare premium is going up in some cases as much as 35% this year and that does not include the 50% or more increase in the Deductible that has to be paid...Did you know that an office visit is not paid for....Yeah there are all kind of Quirks in it. Starting this year, it will start to affect the millennials. I wonder what they are going to say now.

Make no bones about it, while the democrats were the only ones that voted for it, the republicans (most of them) secretly wanted it simply because it meant more power. With bigger government comes more power. Socialism is on its way and most of the liberals want it so bad they can taste it, simply because they have been fed the idea that the bigger gov. will help all those people that could not be helped before and while they are at it, make those big fat rich republicans pay for it.

Obama and his Liberal administration and the Academias (Professors, etc) have been following Sal Alinsky 12 rules of bringing a country to socialism. You really need to read it.

http://www.bestofbeck.com/wp/activism/saul-alinskys-12-rules-for-radicals

As fara as I am concerned, I want everybody to have medical care regardless of who they are, I just don;t want to pay for those people out in california from TN. I will halp take care of My fellow Tennesseans.

As far as minimum wage goes, WHat the market will bare is all there is. It is called capitalism. That is unless the gov. is going to tell McDonalds how much to pay their employees (more all the time) resulting in fewer people working and businesses going out of business.

Over History, socialism has never worked. While Communism has seemed to work, keep in mind that everyone and everything (i.e. China)is hostage to its leaders.

I hope this measures up to your standards as an answer, although I know it is the wrong one.

oh, I just heard on the news, they have legislation going through to ban smoking inside of buildings including private homes and within 25 feet of the building. It is coming people.

May you have a blessed day

Blade

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
As fara as I am concerned, I want everybody to have medical care regardless of who they are, I just don;t want to pay for those people out in california from TN. I will halp take care of My fellow Tennesseans.

those people out in california from TN
What people? You are a moron. Frothingslosh is spot on for calling bigots like you out.

I will halp take care of My fellow Tennesseans.
I doubt it, you can't even spell the word help.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
When will this thread go back to being a simple poll, and not a soap box for the ignorant?

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
It's been a soap box for the ignorant at least as far back as Feb 2013.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom