Auto-Update Front End Question (1 Viewer)

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 17:17
I was looking at Bob Larson's utility posted here and I have a question. Maybe I'm being dense (I probably am) but the loading page on my form looks like this:

I was just wondering if Bob (or someone else) can tell me what the difference is between the first and third options on this page?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 15:17
The first location is selecting the file to which you are enabling auto updating and the third is the location where you are going to be storing the front end master (which could be different from the initial location you currently have it in, hence why I put that in there like that).

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Thanks, Bob. I just want to clarify this so I know I'm understanding it correctly. I've played with it a little bit but haven't gotten it to work right yet. I was going to attempt it again today. I have a DB split into FE/BE (obviously, hence the interest in this utility). I've got the FE master .mdb, where I make my changes. Then there is the BE .mdb where the tables are. Then I have the FE .mde I have made from my FE .mdb. When I use this utility, I was going to try the 1st option with the FE .mde, the second option with the BE .mdb, and the third option with the FE .mdb. Am I right, wrong, or an idiot? :D

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
No, you need to do it all with the MDB file and when you have your front-end the way you want it THEN create your MDE.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
OK. I knew I was being dense. I got it to work but have one other question. Since I have enabled user-level security the users have to log on with their special shortcut that I create. When I did this last test, I opened my local copy .mde and it told me it was an old copy and it was going to replace it and then re-open, which it did. However, when it re-opened it bypassed my security I guess because it then told me I didn't have correct permissions for the DB. I closed the error message, closed Access and re-opened my local copy .mde with my shortcut and it worked. The copy and update, however, worked beautifully as I could see my change I had made on the main form. I was just wondering if there was a way around this security error or if you had experienced that before.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
You might have to change the code within the frontend master to open not the shell to the program but to the shortcut instead. I don't know if that will work or not as I haven't tried that one.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for all your help. :)

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Hey Bob, just wanted to let you know that I changed the batch file so it opens with the shortcut instead and it works just fine. Since I placed the FE of the database in a folder on the users C: drives that I named the same, I was able to just put another copy of the shortcut in the folder with it and named it something short, then hard-coded the location in the batch file section to always open C:\foldername\shortcutname and it works just fine. Just an FYI. Thanks for all the great work on that sample DB. It's going to make my life a heck of a lot easier. :)

cright99

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 10:17
I keep on getting the error run-time error '3033'. I cant access the master front end mdb file. Im getting a head acke from trying to get this to work. So I give up :(

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I keep on getting the error run-time error '3033'. I cant access the master front end mdb file. Im getting a head acke from trying to get this to work. So I give up :(

Why give up, why not just ask questions?

So, what are you having problem with exactly? What do you mean by you can't access the master frontend mdb file?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom