Automated Duplicate file creation (backups) (1 Viewer)

SuzanneB

Local time
Today, 10:03
Hi Guys!

Hope you are all doing well.

I hope you can help me, I am experiencing an issue where the access database I created is used by 2 or more people at the same time, and it creates a 'duplicate' file. My online searches tell me it's a back-up and I should not concern myself with this, but I learned that actually there are differences with the original file and the so called 'back-up' file. This regards updates or new entries that are essential for us in both files. It is happening very often and like this we won't be able to work on the process with several people.

The location of the file is on a one-drive server of my company and naturally each have their own user access etc. Example attached of what happens, the ID at the end is the persons' device ID (censored).

Any advice why this happens and how to resolve, will be very highly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Suuz

Attachments

• DBissue.jpg
    DBissue.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 311

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 16:03
client-server(fe/be) won't work on onedrive or dropbox.
you should consider stopping and don't wait till you cannot
access the db due to corruption.

it is already signalling one.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 04:03
yes, when the db corrupts, it creates a 'backup' when it repairs.
Make sure your db is SPLIT, and each user has their own copy of the frontend.
The msoft bug now corrupts network files if > 1 person uses them.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:03
Hi Guys!

Hope you are all doing well.

I hope you can help me, I am experiencing an issue where the access database I created is used by 2 or more people at the same time, and it creates a 'duplicate' file. My online searches tell me it's a back-up and I should not concern myself with this, but I learned that actually there are differences with the original file and the so called 'back-up' file. This regards updates or new entries that are essential for us in both files. It is happening very often and like this we won't be able to work on the process with several people.

The location of the file is on a one-drive server of my company and naturally each have their own user access etc. Example attached of what happens, the ID at the end is the persons' device ID (censored).

Any advice why this happens and how to resolve, will be very highly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Suuz
Hi Suuz

When you say "each have their own user access" - I hope you mean that each user has a copy of the Front End on their own PC ?

bastanu

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:03
I think if you continue to use it in the current setup you will have bigger issues than the extra files, specifically data integrity issues. OneDrive uses a synchronization mechanism that will end up messing up your data (latest data from one user will be overwritten by older data from another user that gets his file synchronized later).
Have a read here:

SuzanneB

Local time
Today, 10:03
So what could be a possible solution? I mean, reading everyone's feedback we can conclude that one-drive cannot be used, but what will solve it? Access should be able to be used by more than one person, especially when the DB is split. Won't it work if the BE is on one-drive and each person has a FE on their PC/Laptop? Although that doesn't tackle the synchronization issue you advise. We also have a shared folder option, but that will go away as the whole environment is going to one-drive.

JMongi

Local time
Access should be able to be used by more than one person
It can and it does.
Won't it work if the BE is on one-drive and each person has a FE on their PC/Laptop?
No. As you have concluded yourself from this thread; your database will corrupt when the backend file is hosted on one drive, dropbox, google drive, etc. These are file syncing services and not designed to function exactly like a shared space on a locally networked server.
the whole environment is going to one-drive
This is the crux of the problem. Unfortunately, Access is not designed to function in the way you wish. It requires the BE to be in a shared location on a local network in order for data integrity to be maintained.

It is possible to migrate your back end database to another type of database that handles internet based connectivity while keeping your FE that was developed in Access. Many power users/commercial developers here on this forum do this when the application deployment requires.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Looks to me like a cloud backup service that's mucking up the situation, rather than Access. First thing I do when I boot up my work laptop is exit OneDrive. I want to see reality, not Onedrive's version of it - in any given situation.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Stop sharing the BE using cloud services IMMEDIATELY. You are just causing data anomalies and reconciliation problems that you will need to manually resolve.

If all your users are on the same LAN, put the BE on a shared drive on the LAN. If they are not on the same LAN, you have three choices that will not require major changes.

1. Convert the BE to SharePoint. This is easier said than done since you need to host SharePoint to do this. Also, it is a really poor solution that will only work if your tables in the BE have less than ~ 5.000 rows each. I wouldn't recommend this at all except perhaps as an intermediate solution if you already have SharePoint available.
2/3. Use Citrix or Remote Desktop. You can host these products yourself or you can use a third party. Both will allow you to run your app on a server and everyone will be able to use the app no matter where they are as long as they have internet access. Using Citrix or RD, you still use the split db concept and each user still has his own personal copy of the FE. Only the BE is shared. The FE is stored in the user's personal directory on the server rather than his local desktop. The app runs within a web browser. It is very efficient because only pictures of the desktop and keystrokes from the user computer are transferred over the web. All processing takes place on the server.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
When you see developers trying to use OneDrive as their file share it might mean they don't have full permissions to deploy onto a server. So Sharepoint, Citrix, SQL will be slightly out of reach until the permissions are resolved.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When you see developers trying to use OneDrive as their file share it might mean they don't have full permissions to deploy onto a server. So Sharepoint, Citrix, SQL will be slightly out of reach until the permissions are resolved.
That doesn't mean that cloud sharing is even a little bit safe.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
The biggest obstacle to developers is not the database, it's permissions. Without it you're done before you start.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Are you trying to say it is OK to put the BE on a cloud server?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom