Backend Path (1 Viewer)

Valentine

Local time
Today, 06:59
I just split my database but the front ends that other people are opening cannot link to the backend because when I split and put the backend in a folder in the same share drive the file path has my letter assigned to that share drive. Is there a way to add the full file path to new front ends?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 18:59
you can manually browse for the path when you Relink.

Valentine

Local time
yes but when i manually link the FE to the BE I get file path Z:\\ instead of just \\ because my other users are getting an error stating that the location of the backend is not correct. I want to get rid of the Z: in front as i think its messing up the file path

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:59
You need to link using a UNC path, remove the Z: drive from your path and enter the full UNC and relink.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 03:59
yes but when i manually link the FE to the BE I get file path Z:\\ instead of just \\ because my other users are getting an error stating that the location of the backend is not correct. I want to get rid of the Z: in front as i think its messing up the file path
This is a common problem in organizations where different users are able to map different drives according to their own preferences, some map Z to one folder, some map Z to a different folder. Chaos ensues when you try to share.

In some other organizations, EVERYONE's Z drive is mapped to the same network folder. In those situations, it's pretty eZ to keep everyone on the same drive.

Valentine

Local time
yeah i was stupid and just typed it in on the file path search instead of just clicking the file....sorry for the problem

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 18:59
can you type the UNC to the "Filename", textbox?, eg:

\\pcname\path

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom