Bar Sports, anyone?? (1 Viewer)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 17:28
Anyone out there into bar sports?? Any pool sharks?? Bowlers??

Looking for a challenge...

statsman

Local time
Today, 18:28
Or the bar sport that is considered the ultimate test for the drunken bar fly...darts

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
They play professionally in Europe (I think). Not too bad myself, but more dangerous than good. :rolleyes:

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 23:28
AJ,

I've played pool a time or two.

Hoping to get better. There are a surprisingly large number of bars without
pool tables. I guess you're just supposed to drink.

Wayne

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Yeah, that's the idea. A pool table doesn't pay the bills!! :)

I've been called a shark by a few people in my time. I remember once, I guy from Chicago came to a downtown bar in my college town and my roommate told me to take his bet ($50 / rack). I played one game and embarrased him to an extent that I was even ashamed of. I gave him his money back and walked out. :)

statsman

Local time
In Toronto (at any rate) some bars have taken out their darts area. It does take up a lot of space. They have replaced it with a pool table or two.
At $1.50 per game, the bar can make a few bucks whereas the dart board wasn't making them any direct revenue.

I do belong to the Naval Club here. We are moving to new premises. They will be installing 6 dart boards as this will allow them to draw local tournaments.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
That cool...let me know when they are playing and I will be there. =)

Do they still have that tall skinny tower there (what's that thing called again)??

I went to Toronto back in '90 to see WrestleMania VI!! I stayed at the Marriot. We came back to the hotel one night (the day before the show) and I got to shake Andre the Giant's hand!! He was absolutely huge though, and it was scary.

What was even scarier though was what I saw on the documentary I recently watched about his life. They said that in 1990, during his tour stay in Toronto, a few guys were bothering him a bit too much one night, and he flipped their car over. They also said the police showed up a minute later but he was gone. I wonder if that was the night I got to talk to him in the lounge of the hotel....???

statsman

Local time
It's the CN (for Canadian National) tower.

The story sounds typical of the "Giant". He was a very peaceful man and wouldn't dream of hurting another person. If he was angry at you he would take it out on one of your possessions. Other wrestlers would get him upset outside the ring and would discover their trunks had been ripped apart or their boots torn in two.

It must have galled him in his later days to be cast as a "villian" by the WWF.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Actually, in the documentary, Vince McMahon was interviewed and said that he understood how his role needed to change in order to benefit the business. But, then again, can you really trust what Vince McMahon says?? :rolleyes:

Did you see the DOC. about Brett Hart??

statsman

Local time
I did.

Vince McMahon is less than trustworthy, but then he's got a large corporation to worry about.

I've always felt that he looks at the wrestlers as inter-changable parts in his WWF/WWE machine.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
I did.

Vince McMahon is less than trustworthy, but then he's got a large corporation to worry about.

I've always felt that he looks at the wrestlers as inter-changable parts in his WWF/WWE machine.

You are aware are'nt you that WWF is fixed...surely you know that.

It is not a sport just entertainment.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Gosh, I hope so.

But then again, I sure hope that Owen Hart's death was not fixed. That would make McMahon not less than trustworthy, but what??

A murderer?? Please tell me he won't go that far... :eek:

scott-atkinson

Local time
Although I would like to add that it is bloody good entertainment.

And the guys and gals that take part even if they are not sportsmen and women are certianly fit enough to be.

My days of WWF go back to the Ultimate Warrior, Ravishing Rick Rude, and Hulk Hogan... now that is going back some...

Tell me, that the Hulkster is still not competing.....at his age surely not?

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
I don't think he is...he's got the television show now, HOGAN KNOWS BEST. Have you seen it??

By the way, my WWF days go back to that era too. For quite a while, Rick Rude and the Warrior were big rivals, and it sold well too!!

When I went to Canada for the '90 show, the customs lady told me that I had just missed Hogan and the Warrior. They had passed through about an hour earlier. :cool:

scott-atkinson

Local time
I don't think he is...he's got the television show now, HOGAN KNOWS BEST. Have you seen it??

By the way, my WWF days go back to that era too. For quite a while, Rick Rude and the Warrior were big rivals, and it sold well too!!

When I went to Canada for the '90 show, the customs lady told me that I had just missed Hogan and the Warrior. They had passed through about an hour earlier. :cool:

I haven't seen his show, not sure if it is available in the UK?

I used to think the Warrior was fantastic. Running round the ring acting like a savage whipping the crowd up into a frenzy...ah those were the days, rushing home from school just so i could watch WWF..:cool:

statsman

Local time
Hogan left the WWF/WWE in the 90's. He became an evil manager in the other Wrestling group in the US (I forget the name of it). He ran the New World Order which was a collection of bad guy wrestlers on that show.
Owen Hart's fall was also a part of that group, not the WWF/E.
Yes, I am aware the wrestling is fake but the cash is real.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Owen Hart's fall was also a part of that group, not the WWF/E.
I don't think that's right statsman. I remember I was going to have my Uncle tape the show on satellite, but I didn't have enough money to pay for it, and then I heard about the incident.

The other group is called WCW (World Championship Wrestling), and yes, Hogan ran the NWO. As a matter of fact, many of the "popular" WWF wrestlers from Hogan's days went over to the WCW during the same time as well.

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
Owen Hart died during a WWF/E match I think it was one of the survivor series I cant remember for sure
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Hart

there is the wiki article on Owen, about halfway down it talks about his death.

and I have been watching wrestling for manymany moons, not so much now though, Andre the Giant, Rick FLair the original four horsemen

oh those were the days

statsman

Local time
Owen Hart died during a WWF/E match I think it was one of the survivor series I cant remember for sure

I stand corrected.

Actually I'm a little tired. May I sit corrected? :D

I remember the mass exodus from the WWE to the WCW. It was about the time that McMahon came out of the closet. I think a lot of them were afraid they'd be tarred with the Gay brush (not that there's anything wrong with that).

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
I WAS going to correct you on that statsman, but I SAT on it instead.... :)

Hey Kalel, is there really a Minneapolis in Kansas?? Is that were the AMEX headquarters is it?? Or could I be thinking of another place!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom