becoming a fiverr seller (1 Viewer)

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 21:29
Just started looking into to as just started using the site for my image needs but have been looking around with an eye to becoming a seller myself after I return from spain at middle if feb 2020.

my question is has anybody used it for design work and any help you can point my way which may help me decide.

thanks mick

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Sell - "Nano Products"

I have indeed tried several of these online ways of offering my services. I have never found one that regularly gives me work, or that I can be happy with. However I have employed people through "People Per Hour" which was reasonably successful. The main problem was that it was nearly as much work to organise someone else to do work, as for me doing the job myself! This might be partly because it's very difficult to see someone write code in a different style than yourself. In other words no one is as good as you, and this is a big barrier to working with someone else in this manner.

The route I have adopted which gives me immense satisfaction, but so far, little in the way of monetary reward, is to create, what one "How to make money on the Internet" Guru, Rob Cornish calls "Nano Products"

You create the smallest viable product, a product with the least amount of effort on your part. You then sell it for the least amount of money you can justify and you make loads of "Nano Products". The idea being that eventually you will hit on one that sells very well, and makes you a fortune! To my mind this is akin to gambling, the chances are very slim in my opinion. However it's a great deal of fun, and stretches your mind into all sorts of convoluted ways of programming to produce these simple products. I find it very beneficial from the point of view of learning MS Access....

I have an online Digital Shop on the Gumroad Platform..

If anyone is interested in creating their own "Nano Products" then please contact me and I can explain the process, which isn't as simple as you might think.

If you have an idea for a product, then please contact me as I would very much like to collaborate on bringing it to the market...

Attachments

• SellfyNiftyStore_1a.jpg
    SellfyNiftyStore_1a.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 771
Last edited:

Dreamweaver

Local time
Thanks Uncle Gizmo

I Have the option on my site to have a store but it costs on a monthly which I am trying to avoid.

at the moment I have my free projects I'm more interested in taking on design work rather than selling small items for a £1 a shot.

I've always tried to keep my options open and have avoided self employment but always looking for a way.

thanks mick

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 15:29
Mick,

That website is advertised in a lot of places including on facebook. Have you tried looking into Upwork? Sadly, upwork is no longer that great because when Elance.com was bought out by them (or whoever owns them), they started requiring both buyers and sellers to purchase what is called "credits" in order to both hire a developer and submit proposals for a job posted. Elance.com never charged developers to submit proposals, obtain work or even complete a project - only the employer was charged a fee.

Another thing about upwork and the fiveer that I've noticed, is that *a lot* of foreign freelancers seem to be on those sites. While I've worked with plenty of foreigners (specifically from Africa, China and India), what it seems like is that they have had to resort to that method of finding employment if they are living in the USA because the brick-and-mortar employers, especially, large corporations, are not giving them a chance to prove the skills that they have and thus they are not able to gain employment that is more secure than freelancing gigs. That's my suspicion anyway. I have both posted jobs as an employer and written proposals on Upwork, and I've never had much luck in either regard. I had huge success on Elance.com when it was in existence, but I believe things are going downhill on those websites in terms of finding reliable talent.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
but it costs on a monthly which I am trying to avoid.

Sellfy has been free up to this year, I have enjoyed the use of Sellfy for free for several years. However the fee now makes it look unlikely that I will keep using it. I will probably made enough to cover cost, but no more. I am looking at various options I can use in WordPress, however even though the WordPress plugins make it relatively easy, it is another headache which I'm unwilling to take on, and indeed there are also fees for the WordPress Solutions... I have decided to stick with Sellfy for the time being, and devote my efforts to SEO... Have a year at this, and if I do not gain any traction then I will probably shelve the project..

Dreamweaver

Local time
Mick,

That website is advertised in a lot of places including on facebook. Have you tried looking into Upwork? Sadly, upwork is no longer that great because when Elance.com was bought out by them (or whoever owns them), they started requiring both buyers and sellers to purchase what is called "credits" in order to both hire a developer and submit proposals for a job posted. Elance.com never charged developers to submit proposals, obtain work or even complete a project - only the employer was charged a fee.

Another thing about upwork and the fiveer that I've noticed, is that *a lot* of foreign freelancers seem to be on those sites. While I've worked with plenty of foreigners (specifically from Africa, China and India), what it seems like is that they have had to resort to that method of finding employment if they are living in the USA because the brick-and-mortar employers, especially, large corporations, are not giving them a chance to prove the skills that they have and thus they are not able to gain employment that is more secure than freelancing gigs. That's my suspicion anyway. I have both posted jobs as an employer and written proposals on Upwork, and I've never had much luck in either regard. I had huge success on Elance.com when it was in existence, but I believe things are going downhill on those websites in terms of finding reliable talent.
Thanks vba_php I think I'll avoid upwork the person I choose to do my splash screen is from pakistan but as long as it looks nice I don't care where they are from.

thanks mick

harpygaggle

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:29
I think there are still a few talented people in those outsourcing websites. I've hired several people from Upwork, and they turned out okay. Still, you need to filter them well :)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 15:29
I think there are still a few talented people in those outsourcing websites. I've hired several people from Upwork, and they turned out okay. Still, you need to filter them well :)
That's a complete surprise to me :)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I have decided to stick with Sellfy for the time being

Update
I've recently found ---GumRoad---

it's a fantastic site, not quite a sophisticated Sellfy, but it's free for a basic subscription, and, indeed! if you want to go for a paid for subscription it's only $10 a month. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading, even though I think it's unnecessary at the moment...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom