Best Practice - Multiple DB & back ends (1 Viewer)

Shaunk23

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:23
I have a main database for an office of 10 people.. We have a separate one for quotes.. I have been thinking about combining the quotes into the main database so the users have just one open to work in.. the back end is on my exchange server.. What would be the more sensible or efficient way to do this? Should i re-write the second one and keep them separate or combine them while i have the chance.. .Network Traffic? Conflict with two of them open?? Need some advice..

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:23
By combining you are sharing some important data which is more efficient.

Like Employee Names etc.
Client Details.

One Back end means less tables and greater accuracy. e.g. You only have to update the employees in one place not two.

I used employees and Clients as examples only. You would have different data that you share.

Shaunk23

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:23
Yea - thats exactly what i was thinking.. there would be alot of data that would need to be duplicated.. Like Employees, user logged in, ports, countries etc.. Is there any restriction as to how large you can get on a back end?? Im newer to access.. my backend right now shows as 5.75 mb. It only has about 100 records in it.. we probably do about 600-1000 a year.. has 7 users on front end apps in the same office.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:23
Try 2 Gig. Is that big enough.

If you exceed this size then you can upgrade to a different back end and still keep the same front end.

Try doing a compact and repair. This could reduce your current size. Do a back up first.

And don't forget to back up often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom