Bin Laden is dead - YEA! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insane_ai

Not Really an A.I.
Local time
Today, 12:45
I am glad to see this sorry POS has been killed. I am even happier that it happened right as the Taliban stated they would start their spring offensive.

Way to Go US Navy SEALS team 6!

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Osama had nothing to do with the Taliban at the time of his death. They had denounced and turned on Al Queda. But I agree, it's good to see some justice for the thousands of people around the world, no matter what nationality or religion, that were terrorized and victimized by this man and his financial resources.

Insane_ai

Not Really an A.I.
Local time
The point was that this administration had done something right and the USA is still strong. It was a good show of intelligence capabilities and force.

"it's good to see some justice for the thousands of people around the world, no matter what nationality or religion, that were terrorized and victimized by this man"

Definately!

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I find it a little anticlimatic. Better sooner than later.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 09:45
I find it interesting that the terrorists have vowed vengeance. So, even as they have been planning their terrorist activities and going to do something somewhere regardless - they are now going to do something "special" which seems odd that they wouldn't be planning that in the first place. So, it is just another excuse to do the activities they have been doing all along.

Vassago

Local time
I find it interesting that the terrorists have vowed vengeance. So, even as they have been planning their terrorist activities and going to do something somewhere regardless - they are now going to do something "special" which seems odd that they wouldn't be planning that in the first place. So, it is just another excuse to do the activities they have been doing all along.

I'VE BEEN SAYING THAT ALL ALONG!!! Some of my friends voiced concerns about the retaliation from the terrorists. My point was... "So you think there was some potential suicide bomber sitting at home drinking a beer, trying to decide if he was going to attack or not, decided not to, then found out Osama was killed and thought, 'Oh, that's it, now I'm doing it!'" Give me a break. They will continue to attempt to do what they would have attempted to do anyway and we will continue to do what we do to stop them. It's business as usual.

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:45
Maybe not business as usual; maybe a prominent 'martyr' used to avenge.

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
I would reasonably think that a martyr would be lucky to come home in a body bag, many on both sides have not.

Revenge is sweet to the victorious but can lead to revenge by the vanquished. With that, the only winner is the body bag.

The US seems to have done the correct thing under the circumstance, conducting a burial with dignity. The aim was to bury an individual, not to belittle or antagonize a people.

Adam Caramon

Local time
I'm glad he is gone, and I'm happy that those who were directly affected by bin Laden's actions found a measure of comfort in his demise. Having said that, it is very strange to see people cheering and partying in response to a person's death.

We should not be ashamed of assassinating him; it was something that should have been done. But I think those people being publicly jubilant look ridiculous.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
To the average modern "Christian", "turning the other cheek" means showing the other side of one's buttocks.

Of course it will all be worth it though since Bin Laden's death will end all terrorism in the world overnight. Who wouldn't be jubilant?

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I'm glad he is gone, and I'm happy that those who were directly affected by bin Laden's actions found a measure of comfort in his demise. Having said that, it is very strange to see people cheering and partying in response to a person's death.

We should not be ashamed of assassinating him; it was something that should have been done. But I think those people being publicly jubilant look ridiculous.

It was not an assassination Adam, it was an attempted apprehension.

There is only one answer to the Middle Eastern / North African, Oil producing, Islamic extremist problem.

The Earth needs to put on the fast track, to renewable fuels, and let those folks go back to riding their camels and killing each other. It’s coming for them, one way or the other; they want to live in a world forgotten; we are the problem by buying their oil.

They obviously cannot handle preeminence in a modern world.

Last edited:

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The Earth needs to put on the fast track, to recyclable fuels, and let those folks go back to riding their camels and killing each other. It’s coming for them, one way or the other; they want to live in a world forgotten; we are the problem by buying their oil.

Exactly. But oil companies are doing everything they can to stop this.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 17:45
Is he dead? The US dumped a "body" at sea, seems a bit quick to me. Plus, to see Americans dancing in the street was shameful and childish, I thought there should be a little more restraint.

If he is dead, then the Americans have got something right for a change (instead of killing allies by friendly fire, or killing innocent women and children).
However, you have to admit that the attacks of 11/9/2001, horrendous though they were, were a masterpiece of planning, if the Americans had done that to say Kabul, then they would be cheering for years to come.

This is not the end though, now that the US has stirred things up by their invasion of Iraq and subsequently Afghanistan, there are plenty more who can plan more attacks anywhere they choose - losing Bin-Liner is not going to change a thing.

It could be like the US taking out Saddam - it just made matters worse for all of us.

Col

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 17:45
It was not an assassination Adam, it was an attempted apprehension.
Then it was a blessing that he was killed and not arrested. I am sure if he had been in custody there would have kidnappings and othe attrocities in an attempt to have him released. Best that he is buried at sea where there can be no shrine

Vassago

Local time
Plus, to see Americans dancing in the street was shameful and childish, I thought there should be a little more restraint.

I can't agree more. It's very sick when people can cheer and celebrate to the magnitude that they did over anyone's death. It's almost as sick as people DEMANDING to see the body for proof. I think it was more the feeling of closure that made people feel good. I can understand feeling like justice was served though. It's a sense of relief.

If he is dead, then the Americans have got something right for a change (instead of killing allies by friendly fire, or killing innocent women and children).
However, you have to admit that the attacks of 11/9/2001, horrendous though they were, were a masterpiece of planning, if the Americans had done that to say Kabul, then they would be cheering for years to come.

I can't see us actually trying to take out civilian establishments on purpose. But this is an argument not worth having since you'll just disagree without providing evidence. Sure, there are bad people in every country, but the overall majority would never agree to the killing of civilians.

This is not the end though, now that the US has stirred things up by their invasion of Iraq and subsequently Afghanistan, there are plenty more who can plan more attacks anywhere they choose - losing Bin-Liner is not going to change a thing.

It could be like the US taking out Saddam - it just made matters worse for all of us.

Col

Who is in a worse place without Saddam? I'm sure the majority of people in the Middle East are glad to see him gone, including the Iraqi people who tried and executed him for the thousands of murders he commanded of civilians.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time

Vassago

Local time
That's nothing more than a blog. It's an opinion piece.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
That's nothing more than a blog. It's an opinion piece.
My mistake. I thought your previous question 'Who is in a worse place without Saddam?' was, in effect, asking for opinions.

Had you said that the question was entirely rhetorical and you were stating that everyone is unequivocally better off, I wouldn't have dared suggest that someone else have a differing viewpoint.

Edit: And people around here have asked why the conversation is drying up?

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
After reading it, my problems with the blog are that the post is really more about the need for troops to maintain a position in Iraq. There is also no reference to the stats being supplied prior to 2003.. 87% of all stats are made up on the spot 50% of the time.
So I would need more information... Also, I think I would want opinions from people actually THERE. How do we know that the pre-2003 numbers were not "fudged" by Saddam?? There is also expected to be a decline in infrastructure after a war...
That would be like saying Germany was better off with Hitler in charge.. Well right after the war, ya that argument might be true, but that's because before the war, the contry wasn't bombed to S**t. It takes time to rebuild... I think it's a big picture vs small picture argument.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
That would be like saying Germany was better off with Hitler in charge.. Well right after the war, ya that argument might be true, but that's because before the war, the contry wasn't bombed to S**t. It takes time to rebuild... I think it's a big picture vs small picture argument.
Yes, but today IS right after the war. Perhaps things will be great in ten years' time, perhaps not.

I agree with your other comments, this guy doesn't live there so how would he know for sure, but then that can be applied to virtually every opinion I've seen so far (here or elsewhere).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom