Black Guilty (1 Viewer)

statsman

Local time
Today, 13:26
Former press baron, current British peer and former Canadian Conrad Black was found guilty on several counts in Chicago on Friday. Seems he's been fleecing the stockholders for year in his various companies.

A fabulously weathy man and given the Paris Hilton story, how long in prison do you think he'll get?

He could get up to 35 years.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 10:26
How old is he ,

should get 10-12 years with parole prob do 5-6 years
if he pay's a bribe 21 days - as he will be unbfit to serve sentance

Hey, if he's fleeced the little fellows - then you can hang him
that will be fine by me, or asset strip him to get the monies ()money's) back

on this what is the correct way of say monies
it's kinda of in the air , some say monies other money's

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 18:26
Former press baron, current British peer and former Canadian Conrad Black was found guilty on several counts in Chicago on Friday. Seems he's been fleecing the stockholders for year in his various companies.
He was just unlucky in getting found out - this has got to be happening all the time. Yes ok, he'll do time, but like Paris Hilton he'll get special privilages.

Col

statsman

Local time
How old is he ,

I believe he's in his 60's. I have heard that there is currently a bill making its way through the UK Parliament to the effect that members of the House of Lords convicted of criminal offences will be booted out. It seems there are 3 currently doing time and 3 more (Black included) awaiting sentence.
I wonder if he can get a leave from prison so he can vote on it.

Are proxy votes permitted in the Lords?

Last edited:

statsman

Local time
Whoops, it seems Lord Black requested permission to leave the US and return to Canada before his sentencing in September. The judge refused to allow him to leave the US.
The rumours are that Black is trying to have his Canadian citizenship returned. He had to renounce it to take his seat in the House of Lords.
There is a treaty between Canada and the US that if you are a citizen of the other country and are convicted, you can serve your time in your home country.
Canada has madatory release and supervision after you have served 2/3 of your sentence.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
hang him......
then you can let off after 2/3 of the drop has been done ..
g

statsman

Local time
I think a suitable sentence would be a fine.
If he stole say $5 million dollars, fine him $10 million with no time to pay.
He's locked up til he coughs up the money.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
It is amazing that this trial got so much press coverage solely on the merits of MONEY while there are more heinous crimes being committed that dont even make it into the media :eek:

Just makes me wonder where humanity places values? :mad:

RexesOperator

Registered User.
Local time
Whoops, it seems Lord Black requested permission to leave the US and return to Canada before his sentencing in September. The judge refused to allow him to leave the US.
The rumours are that Black is trying to have his Canadian citizenship returned. He had to renounce it to take his seat in the House of Lords.
There is a treaty between Canada and the US that if you are a citizen of the other country and are convicted, you can serve your time in your home country.
Canada has madatory release and supervision after you have served 2/3 of your sentence.

Remember it was Chretien (the Canadian Prime Minister at the time) who had his nose bent out of joint when Black was offered the peerage (I think he was just jealous because he wasn't eligible!). There was no reason for Black not to have dual citizenship. Chretien was just throwing his weight around. Black's biggest mistakes were marrying someone who could spend money faster than he could make it and alienating a bully (Chretien). Now he'll have to pay the price one way or another for both mistakes.

It is amazing that this trial got so much press coverage solely on the merits of MONEY while there are more heinous crimes being committed that dont even make it into the media :eek:

Just makes me wonder where humanity places values? :mad:

Of course we know why - money is sexy. But I agree why is this story being covered outside of the Globe and Mail's (one of our national newspapers) business pages? Nobody cares about it. No one lost their job (as far as I know). Hollinger etal is still fucntioning. This isn't exactly Enron or Worldcom.

statsman

Local time
Remember it was Chretien (the Canadian Prime Minister at the time) who had his nose bent out of joint when Black was offered the peerage (I think he was just jealous because he wasn't eligible!). There was no reason for Black not to have dual citizenship. Chretien was just throwing his weight around. Black's biggest mistakes were marrying someone who could spend money faster than he could make it and alienating a bully (Chretien). Now he'll have to pay the price one way or another for both mistakes.

Black had to renounce his Canadian citizenship in order to get his British peerage.

statsman

Local time

Black had to renounce his Canadian citizenship in order to get his British peerage. No dual citizens allowed.

As for Barbara, we all know how much trophy wives cost. I'm expecting her column to reappear in the Globe any day now.

statsman

Local time
Sentenced today to 6 1/2 years and a $150,000 fine.

Must report to a federal prison in Florida on Jan. 2.

Will probably get bail pending appeal however.

Note: Yes I said I would be away til January but I didn't know if it would make the news on the other side of the pond. Yet another public service by your tireless reporter. :D

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 18:26
Note: Yes I said I would be away til January but I didn't know if it would make the news on the other side of the pond. Yet another public service by your tireless reporter. :D

We knew it already. Thanks all the same. It was the first story in the BBC news programmes.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom