Blank records (1 Viewer)

Joe T

Local time
Today, 10:21
When I open my table, I first see all the blank records before getting down to the records with data. how do I not display those blanks? Thanks for any help you give me.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:21
Why not delete them? You can sort a table but most of us don't let users into tables anyway, so you can either sort forms and reports accordingly or filter the blank records out of them.

Joe T

Local time
Today, 10:21
EMBARASSING HOW OFTEN THE MOST OBVIOUS SOLUTION DOESN'T QUITE MAKE IT TO THE FRONT OF ONE'S MIND..

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:21
If you have actual blank records, you have a problem with the form that creates them. You probably have code that is dirting the record but you have no validation code in the form's beforeUpdate event to stop the save of the bad records. Delete the empty records but fix the code that is causing the problem.

tvanstiphout

Local time
Today, 08:21
I think the real problem is incorrect database design. If fields were Required, this could not happen. A record with zero required fields is not really possible in a correct database design. Requiredness enforces business rules such as "we cannot have a Customer record without a CompanyName".

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:21
Joe,
Welcome ---and we have all been there.
Further to Tom's response, you might consider reviewing Business Rules to put "required" and other database concepts into context.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom