rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:10
top man is bob!

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 05:10
It seems illogical to me than anyone put in the time for free to reach a count like this. The only real contribution has been to Jon’s ad revenue. During the time I accumulated the bulk of my posts I admit I stayed glued to the forum for a large portion of the day. Then one day it occurred to me what a waste of time for me it was as I could have spent the time being productive for me instead of helping people I’ve never met and bickering with others in the cooler. I also admit it a bit of an addiction like Bob says. I think part of that is it made (makes) me somehow feel important, knowing I can help someone fix a problem or suggest a solution….

Too bad Access / VBA is too often seen in the IT world as an amateur skill set and too often compensated as such. A lot of IT folks even see Access/VBA people as torn in their side. If you converted to php, sql server, SAS or even something like SAP ABAP, with your tenacity you could be six figures + easy.

Anyway, if you see it as a milestone to admired, congrats Bob. You are one of the most knowledgeable Access guys I know and thanks for helping me on numerous issues.

Apologies in advance if this is offensively blunt, seemed the thread was due a reality check, it was getting a little too hug-a-buddy :D

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Bob,

What can I say, I read all 30,000 post and didn't understand a single word. LOL

PS. Thanks for all the help, brother.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
It seems illogical to me than anyone put in the time for free to reach a count like this. The only real contribution has been to Jon’s ad revenue. During the time I accumulated the bulk of my posts I admit I stayed glued to the forum for a large portion of the day. Then one day it occurred to me what a waste of time for me it was as I could have spent the time being productive for me instead of helping people I’ve never met and bickering with others in the cooler. I also admit it a bit of an addiction like Bob says. I think part of that is it made (makes) me somehow feel important, knowing I can help someone fix a problem or suggest a solution….

I'm not sure how much revenue Jon makes off of this site, but honestly, I don't care. It's a free forum that doesn't charge. As far as the methodology that keeps people helping here, I think it's more about the challenge. It also keeps you sharp. I'm not personally using Access anymore because...

Too bad Access / VBA is too often seen in the IT world as an amateur skill set and too often compensated as such. A lot of IT folks even see Access/VBA people as torn in their side. If you converted to php, sql server, SAS or even something like SAP ABAP, with your tenacity you could be six figures + easy.

...of this. In my company, Access is being seen as a security risk. My job title has also designated me as a SQL Server developer and dba, so my skillset has been moving away from Access for a while.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 02:10
...of this. In my company, Access is being seen as a security risk. My job title has also designated me as a SQL Server developer and dba, so my skillset has been moving away from Access for a while.
I'm sure that will be the case for me too. We will be implementing, over the next year or two, a new product that will render most, if not all, of our current Access reporting databases moot. I will be moving into a more C# and SQL Reporting Services role.

KenHigg

Local time
If it were my site I'd cut Bob in for slice of action, Bob's his ace in the hole. (I'm thinking like this because I've been watching a Rockefeller documentary :) )

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I'm sure that will be the case for me too. We will be implementing, over the next year or two, a new product that will render most, if not all, of our current Access reporting databases moot. I will be moving into a more C# and SQL Reporting Services role.

That's how it started for me. After working with SSRS for about two years, I became a developer for the database that houses the data for SSRS. I'm enjoying that quite a bit more than the boring process of creating reports in SSRS. So repetitive! :banghead:

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 19:10
Now for a Real Reality check.

If Bob left right now he would not be missed. Someone would take up his slack.

After all they shot the world's most powerful man and the world kept turning.

Never over state your importance, because you too can be replaced.

RainLover

Local time
Yes Bob

And people should apply this to themselves at their own work place.

They maybe doing a fine job and highly experienced but they too can be replaced.

But of course this does not apply to me as I am too important. :D :rolleyes:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
But of course this does not apply to me as I am too important. :D :rolleyes:

RainLover

Local time
Leaving Bob's achievements aside for a moment.

There are some that do nothing but work on their post count. They only answer the easy questions. I have see posts that simply say glad we could help when they have had nothing to do with the actual thread. Their post count can be 50 a day every day. I don't believe people like this really help.

But Microsoft will give them a MVP award. If that is what you get the award for then I for one don't want one.

I believe that the people who help the most are those with the experience who tend not to jump in. They let the newer people answer the question and allow them to learn at the same time. When someone becomes stuck or is wrong then these senior people come to the rescue.

That's just the way I feel a good site should work.

PS The person in question is not a member of this site.

Isskint

Slowly Developing
Local time
Today, 10:10
Just take the chance to add my congrats to this thread.

It might be classified as an addiction. I have found that it gives me feelings of satisfaction when I can help someone with a problem. And, as for it being here, it probably has to do with the fact that this was the first forum I came to when I needed help back in 1997 when I just started out learning Access. So it feels like home.

It takes a certain level of commitment to help others, but in you that commitment appears to go that little extra mile. You are (generally:p) very patient with posters who lack knowledge or understanding and explain solutions in a very clear manner.
I second the thought about satisfaction gained helping someone resolve an issue (heck thats why i put it in my signature:eek:)

Isskint

Slowly Developing
Local time
I believe that the people who help the most are those with the experience who tend not to jump in. They let the newer people answer the question and allow them to learn at the same time. When someone becomes stuck or is wrong then these senior people come to the rescue.

Second this comment, I have found it very useful being able to attempt a solution knowing others will post if i am wrong or going about things in a long winded manner.

davies107

Registered User.
Local time
congrats Bob though we havent had the chance to interact with each other about Access since im new to Access and to this forum but to think all the posts, the people who thanked you, the contribution you made is really an achievement that no one can take it away from you and something youll be proud of.

reading some old posts of yours to fill some ideas into this tiny brain of mine, hahahaha!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Huzzah! Three cheers for Bob Larson!

What does "huzzah" mean?

Is it yet another stupid American exclamation like "yee ha"?

We have the annoying "high five" infiltrating the UK at the moment, hopefully a passing phase. Also, in a restaurant the other day, the waiter said "hi guys what can I get you", I told him if I wanted American slang where females are referred to as "guys" I would go to America, then I and my lunch partner walked out.

Col

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
What does "huzzah" mean?

We have the annoying "high five" infiltrating the UK at the moment, hopefully a passing phase. Also, in a restaurant the other day, the waiter said "hi guys what can I get you", I told him if I wanted American slang where females are referred to as "guys" I would go to America, then I and my lunch partner walked out.

Col

A little touchy, aren't we?

Isskint

Slowly Developing
Local time
What does "huzzah" mean?

Col

A little touchy, aren't we?

Looks that way, dont it Dick;)

Not to mention Huzzah is a modern English word for hurrah or hooray. Also British Infantry units used to shout 3 "Huzzahs" before a bayonet charge to boost morale and intimidate enemies.

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
You'd think that someone that prides themselves in the proper use of English would be aware of a word that has been used since, at least, Shakespearean times :rolleyes:

Hoisted on his own petard it would seem ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom