Building a database in SQL Server as opposed to Access (1 Viewer)

C

chuckyd606

Good Afternoon,

I'm new in SQL Server and Access and have been given the assignment of buildnig a DB in either application. I have more experience in Access and have built tables and constructed the full relationships this morning. The tables range from 5k to 2.2m records.

Are there any benefits to transfer the DB into SQL Server, mostly for reporting, querying, and/or maintaining the DB?

I am doing my own legwork but any other inputs would be welcome.

thanks,

chucky

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:39
Basically the advantages of SQL Server over Access is that SQL Server can handle more concurrent user and dosen't have the 2gig limit. So if your database is going to have alot of users and store a lot of information I would go with SQL Server.

C

chuckyd606

Keith,

I'm pretty much much the programmer in the building, so the database would be used mainly for adhoc purposes. What's funny is my experience is in mainframe, jcl, iquest, etc... with a couple years working with Oracle, DB2, so I do have the experience maintaining a database.

I'm just trying to get a grasp on how powerful Accsss vs. SQL Server is, while learning on the fly. Access is very user friendly so far.

Thanks for your response to my post.

Chucky

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom