Business FE/BE Help (1 Viewer)

nsmoller

Local time
Today, 11:22
Hi,

I own a retail store. Our POS program has vital elements that we need to be able to modify/update/do reports on.

I figured if i can set up a back end, link it to a front end on client computers, that would be ideal, and i'm sure you would agree.

I'm having trouble getting around the thought process though. Because the POS has a DB that is in DBase, that technically is the back end?

The queries, forms, etc are in access (we bought ms office).

So, to do this with the best practice and most efficient, i would:
-Create an Access DB on the server pc that links to the POS DB and use this access file as a backend for access files on the client that runs queries against them

OR

-create an access db on the server pc that is considered my front end that links to those tables and distribute to client pcs?

My other question is regards to indexes. does it really matter if my indexes in my access FE doesnt jive 100% with the dbase files of the POS system? When i choose "link tables" from ms access, it asks for the index file, so i point it to the *.mdx file, which works fine. then it asks for the unique key, but only 1 field is allowed to be selected (i need 2-3 for a unique key).

Is this ok?

RichardP1978

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:22
Although I cant really answer the question you are asking myself, I think it might help those better in the know, to answer if you can give an idea of how many users/terminals you have so they have an idea of what the numbers are for performance sake.

nsmoller

Local time
Today, 11:22
only two users tops.
never more than 1 at the same time

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:22
Can't you just use your current POS dbase db as you BE and link the tables to your FE on the clients machine. As for the index question if you just link the dbase tables you should retain your indexes. Proper indexing is very important for the speed of you program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom