Calling all OneNote fans - I could use some advice (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 06:05
note I also cross-posted this here

I've only done minimal stuff in OneNote, but I have always seen that is is a pretty cool capable thing, just for its versatility and ability to hold almost anything for any purpose. But I have virtually no hard experience in using it and can use some advice!

The subject machine: It has the built-in Office 365 that shipped with the laptop/Windows 10, but we do NOT have a subscription, except for we have a School-based subscription which is temporary and will end later next year in 2023. Currently we can use this version.
We also have OneNote 2007 installed on this machine, from the Office 2007 Home bundle.

The very important OneNote file we have been given access to and invited to continue using indefinitely: It is based on a URL, a shared file using OneNote online integrated into a Community College's website and we can see it and make full use of it.

What we want to do: We want to permanently SAVE this OneNote file/workbook (whatever you call it) somewhere, so we can access it freely 10 years from now, long after our School-based 365 subscription no longer works. The author has given us permission to do so, but their instructions were vague: "If you download the App, you can fully access it permanently" or something like that.

What I've tried: Once we have the OneNote file open online, there is an option called something similar to: "Edit in OneNote" or "Open for Editing in OneNote".
However, the only thing that appears to do is open it using the Office 365 (school-based account) on our laptop - at least I THINK that is what is happening. There doesn't seem to be any way to Save or Download the actual FILE.

I can't believe I am so ignorant in this subject, but I have to admit, the whole seamless integration of schools' Office 365 and online versions of stuff has really obfuscated and blurred the lines between what is a desktop file vs. online, and when am I opening something in my local program vs. when am I opening it using the integrated-online-mechanism.

When I investigate the Default Programs and File Associations on my computer, I get the feeling that my OneNote 2007 cannot be associated with a URL: onenote link. Maybe it is too old and not compatible.

Can anyone suggest what is the easiest/cheapest/shortest road to a solution to this - I want to "get" this person's online beautiful OneNote creation into some format that I can save/port/move/take somewhere else.

I suspect that the only solution is to get a much more recent version of OneNote (maybe 2019 or 365) on my laptop, and then maybe when I open it, it will give me more options to save the workbook.

It's a very important resource for my wife's future, but we can't figure out how to really download it off of the online URL and don't want to bother the guy who created it any more.

Thanks for any suggestions or ask me to test something and I will do so and come back with the results, thanks.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 06:05
thanks for the suggestion. I am still getting used to the idea there are whole forums for OneNote.
Question cross posted and notification appropriately given on OP

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom