Question cannot update linked table. But the table is not linked. (1 Viewer)

Fuga

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:55
Hi,

I´m trying to execute an update query on a table that's in the db. The comparison records, ie the ones that are not supposed to be updated, come from a linked text file.

Access is telling me that the isam doesn´t allow update to linked table, but like I said, that´s not what I´m doing.

Thanks for any help!

Fuga.

Trevor G

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:55
Could you explain what you are trying to achieve and also the method you are using so far.

If possible upload a sample database for someone to look at, and also state which version of MS Office you are using, it will help others identify your concerns.

JANR

Registered User.
Local time
Just to eliminate the most obvious mistake, you do not by any chance got the update query the wrong way around and make access try and update the linked text file instead?

In the QueryGrid se if you got this right:

Field: Field in LocalTable
Table: Name of LocalTable
Update to: NameOfLinkedTable.NameOfField

JR

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:55
I am not 100% sure offhand (and I never link text fiels) - but if there is no index in the linked table (as there wont be, if its a text file) , then whole query may become non updateable, and this may give you the slightly misleading error message.

try opening the query, and changing stuff in there directly - access will probably tell you its not updateable

Fuga

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for your replies!

This is the sql:
Code:
UPDATE 15_QuarterlyGrouped 
INNER JOIN Tick15OHLC ON ([15_QuarterlyGrouped].[<DTYYYY-MM-DD>] = Tick15OHLC.Tick15Date) AND ([15_QuarterlyGrouped].orderID = Tick15OHLC.Tic150ID) AND ([15_QuarterlyGrouped].grouphour = Tick15OHLC.Tick15hour) AND ([15_QuarterlyGrouped].Groupquarter = Tick15OHLC.Tick15quarter) 
SET Tick15OHLC.Tick15Open = [<open>], Tick15OHLC.Tick15high = [<high>], Tick15OHLC.Tick15Low = [<low>], Tick15OHLC.Tick15Close = [<close>], Tick15OHLC.Tick15Volume = [<vol>];

The Tick15OHLC table is the local table. 15_quarterlygrouped is a query that takes data from a text file.

fuga.

Fuga

Registered User.
Local time
I just saw Gemma-the-husky´s reply.

I´ll try it.

Fuga.

Fuga

Registered User.
Local time
Nope, if I set the update value in the query, the table updates just fine. It´s the value that access is supposed to "read" that doesn´t work.

Is this a bug in access? I use 2003.

Fuga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom