Can't Filter Combos! (1 Viewer)

vdanelia

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:01
Hello Friends, I can't filter combos i tried some variants but without success, I use on my form some VBA...
Please See the example:
When Open a "FORM" There is filter combo when you select something it must be filtered on second combo.....

Please Help!

Attachments

• Test.accdb
    1.2 MB · Views: 84

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:01
You posted Test database is deficient, in that combo box "Value" does not have a recordsource property.

Your control names are deficient. Google "Hungarian naming convention" for a good way of naming Access controls. I use the control name to indicate the data type of the control which alleviates confusion over control data types.

The recordsource of Combo box Value should be filtered by the combo box "Filter" value. O the combo box "Filter" AfterUpdate event, requery combo box "Filter."

Value recordsource should be a query which is something like the following:

Select ... FROM ... WHERE ... = '" & Forms.formName.filter & "'"

Note that that Forms.formName.filter, a string, is enclosed with tic marks.

vdanelia

Registered User.
Local time
Hello llkhoutx
I searched the web, but can't find something suitable to this.....
P.S What do you mean "Your control names are deficient. Google "Hungarian naming convention" for a good way of naming Access controls" I'm not using any Hungarian characters there

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Using the "Hungarian naming convention" allows one to know the data type and/or format of a control by the name. There's never any confusion and helps grealty in determining the characteristics of a control, i.e. if it's text, integer, long, double, a text box, label, a combo box, listbox, etc. It's especially helpful to someone looking at your VBA.

vdanelia

Registered User.
Local time
I'll Rename The controls step by step
Can anyone help me in this case

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Set or identify the recordsource to your "Value" combo box in your Test database (and re-post same) and I building to combo box filter you want.

vdanelia

Registered User.
Local time
Hello llkhoutx
First of all, Greatest thanks for your help and suggestions.
I think, That I explained incorrectly what i need....
That form in the example works well it filters the data if i enter and press GO Button, But I wanted to do another thing

When the [FORM] is opened there are two combos (never mind the names, I did it in brief for test) 1. Called FILTER: when you pull down you'll notice (DEALER, PRODUCT, BRAND MODEL)
If choose DEALER The combo automatically closes and activates the Second Combo CHOOSE: ahaaa here we are... Now I need there to be displayed All the DEALERS which i have in Main Table DATA.
If choose PRODUCT to be displayed all the products which i have there and so on...
I think that Everything is clear now

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 09:01
You posted Test database is deficient, in that combo box "Value" does not have a recordsource property.

Comboboxes don't have a recordsource property. They have ControlSource and RowSource. RecordSource is a property of a form or report.

Your control names are deficient. Google "Hungarian naming convention" for a good way of naming Access controls. I use the control name to indicate the data type of the control which alleviates confusion over control data types.

Hungarian naming is a way of naming objects. Personally I believe it is highly over-rated, especially the practice of using the datatype as the prefix on the controls. Intelligently selected names can convey the datatype anyway. Names like dteStartDate and txtSurname are particularly pointless.

I would not bother renaming except for names like Value and Filter which are both reserved words and should not be used for naming objects. It is also recommended by most developers to avoid spaces and use CamelCase names.

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Try the program attached hereto which causes the Value combo box to display data filtered by combo box Filter.

Note that controls Value and Filter have been renamed and you VBA has been modified accordingly and that function boolFileExists has been added.

Your form named "Form" is very, very bad naming. The "Hungarian naming convention will save worlds of grief, 2 years from now when your program is modified, most particularly in building sql queries when controls have very generic names and one cannot test the data type of the control and what tyre of control it is.

See:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Wrong.html
http://www.idleloop.com/hungarian/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_notation

Good luck.

Attachments

• Test.accdb
    1.5 MB · Views: 69

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 09:01
The "Hungarian naming convention will save worlds of grief, 2 years from now when your program is modified, most particularly in building sql queries when controls have very generic names and one cannot test the data type of the control and what tyre of control it is.
The ControlType is completely irrelevant when writing SQL.
The DataType is obvious if sensible naming practices are used.

You imply we include both the ControlType and DataType of the field it is bound to in the name, like this for a combobox bound to a Long field:

cmblngSomeName

Why not the RowSource, ControlSource and BoundColumn too?
cmblngfldFieldNameqryMyRows2SomeName

That would obviously save so much more confusion.:rolleyes:

These properties are just as important as those arbitrarily chosen for the particular flavour of Hungarian notation in use.

If necessary, any of this information is easily retrieved from the Design View or the Immediate Window if the form is open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom