Checking Windows Version (1 Viewer)

rick roberts

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:50
I have a problem with sending email by the app. route in as much that this only works with windows xp. to email with windows 7 or vista i have to use the docmd. option
is there a way of verifying which operating system the computer is using so that i can then use an - if then - command to decide which route to take for emailing
i know i could just use the docmd. option for both but it means that extra click to actually send
thanks in anticipation

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:50
In the immediate window

?Application.Version

rick roberts

Registered User.
Local time
im not sure what you mean by - immediate window
i need this to be set as a variable so i can use it in vb
my version comes up as version 12.0 (i was hoping for xp or vista etc.) is there a list somewhere that specifies which version number is which OS

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Why can't you have one button that uses DoCmd.SendObject?

rick roberts

Registered User.
Local time
as i explained that procedure doesnt actually send an email it either takes you to the outlook program to send it or it brings up a warning that an application is trying to use outllook either way it involves an extra click of the mouse and takes longer

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 12:50
I fail to see the connection to the operating system. Office 12 is 2007, and yes, it does have quirks when mailing from Access via Outlook. If you have anitvirus running on your XP but not on Vista/W7 then that probably triggers this thing. There are ways around it - there is a thing call Redemption (about 200 USD) and there also is an app that can disable the warnings, and another one that can do the clicking.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Ok, SendObject uses the Outlook program in any environment, be it XP, Win 7 etc. So what you should be looking for is an e-mailing agent that doesn't require Outlook to be installed. There's MAPI, CDO and a few others.

To answer your original question, here's a link to get the OS version:

http://access.mvps.org/access/api/api0055.htm

You can also use WinMgmt but I can't find the thread where I gave that solution.

rick roberts

Registered User.
Local time
thanks very much for your help in this matter - especially the link - that looks like what i need if i am going to split the code to use either forms of email
thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom