Choice of Server / Front end Database structure (1 Viewer)

Adigga1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:28
Hello everyone,

We are planning to covert an existing access database to accommodate 300+ users; we are looking at using SQL server as the backbone but are unsure of the Front-end for the users:

-Some may be accessing the database from outside the intra-network, should we go with a .net front end, java or use an access front-end?

Thanks in advance
A...

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 13:28
i don't have a lot of experience with this but i would say go with java if users might be accessing the app from many types of (non-windows) systems, otherwise go .net, or asp.net (web app).

p.s. is that 300 concurrent users? how many might access it at one time?

Adigga1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:28
i don't have a lot of experience with this but i would say go with java if users might be accessing the app from many types of (non-windows) systems, otherwise go .net, or asp.net (web app).

p.s. is that 300 concurrent users? how many might access it at one time?

thanks wazz, I'm anticipating a high number of users accessing at the same time.. hope that helps?

Thanks again for reply.

A...

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 00:28
I would use Access for the front end. For remote users, use Terminal Services to run the Acces front end.

CameronM

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:28
With 300 users hitting the application, including some remotely, I would suggest you're looking at a web application. Microsoft have the free Visual Web Developer (VWD) that offers most of the functionality of the paid versions of Visual Studio. It also supports Access and SQL Server databases straight out of the box.

CameronM

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:28
Also, don't forget the free SQL Server version - called SQL Server Express. You would be hard pressed to find a better alternative for most web applications - although you may want to check the file size limitations if you are planning on processing a huge amount of data. You can also use the Upsizing Wizard in Access to migrate your data across.

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Today, 06:28
I agree that a web appplication is clearly whats needed here

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom