Chrome Plugin for AWF (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:21
I've been learning about how to create Chrome plugins recently, and it got me thinking: would it be useful to have a Chrome Plugin for this forum, and if so, what features?

It would be interesting to see what you might find useful.

A very simple example of functionality could just be an icon you click and it takes you straight to the AWF forums index page. You can setup a bookmark in Chrome for that anyway, but some might prefer an icon next to other extensions.

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 07:21
I'm afraid my brain isnt creative enough to come up with anything useful, but this does sound interesting!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Popup's for replies to watched threads?
That sort of thing?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I did ask ChatGPT, and it came up with this:

1672841631737.png

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:21
I don't use Chrome. Is there an extension for Firefox? While you are at it, is the forum optimized for something else like Edge?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
The only thing that would be of interest to me is a formatting option - as in item 3...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I don't use Chrome. Is there an extension for Firefox? While you are at it, is the forum optimized for something else like Edge?
There are no extensions at all at this stage. I am not sure what to do in Firefox to create an extension. I was only looking to do Chrome because of its market share.

I am not sure what you mean by optimised for Edge. Care to elaborate?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The only thing that would be of interest to me is a formatting option - as in item 3...
What formatting options that are not currently in the toolbar?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:21
I am not sure what you mean by optimised for Edge. Care to elaborate?

Some anti-virus packages have add-ins to "optimize" their effectiveness when working with a particular browser. Being unfamiliar with the tech details of Xenforo, I wondered if there were such options for various browsers for Xenforo use.

Every time I get a Windows update, I get one of those pesky little notices that, even though I have done my best to disable it, Edge keeps coming back to haunt me because my Kaspersky A/V wants to install Edge optimization. So I was wondering - when you said something about Chrome browser plugins, the only way you can REALLY optimize the forum for Chrome use is to do something with a browser plug-in. Because doing something to the forum itself might disenfranchise those of us who don't care for Chrome. Or at least, that's how it seems to me.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The forum will run the same as always. It is just that a Chrome plugin might add some additional functionality, like seeing a notification in the Chrome toolbar that there is a notification waiting for you on AWF, or something like that. Not sure if that was clear.

I've never actually made a Chrome plugin before, but since I now have html/javascript/react skills, after watching a 10 minute video on what to do, it seems simple to get started.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:21
One issue with the dark mode is people change their font color from white to black making their comments invisible to the dark mode users. A workaround is to highlight the text to read it, but sadly I've usually moved on by then. ;) jk

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Testing from my mobile.

Edit @Uncle Gizmo I managed to do bold. I just hit the B icon then started typing and then hit it again to turn it off.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I'm having fun with this. It doesn't actually do anything yet, but the fact I have actually got an extension in my browser pleases me immensely. Ha!

1672856623149.png

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
What happens when you try to select bold?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Strange. I am on android too.

Can you provide a screenshot? Do you see a settings cog on the toolbar?

I'm asking about the issue on the Xenforo forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom