Clean Install Windows 11 (1 Viewer)

Sun_Force

Local time
Tomorrow, 05:50
Does anyone know if it is possible to clean install windows 11 and use windows 10 license to activate it?

I downloaded windows 11 iso from Microsoft Download page. What happens if I clean install windows 11 instead of upgrading windows 10.
Do I need to purchase windows 11 license or my windows 10 license can be used to activate it?

thank you

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:50
Does anyone know if it is possible to clean install windows 11 and use windows 10 license to activate it?

I downloaded windows 11 iso from Microsoft Download page. What happens if I clean install windows 11 instead of upgrading windows 10.
Do I need to purchase windows 11 license or my windows 10 license can be used to activate it?

thank you
If your machine already had windows 10 installed and activated then it is registered with Microsoft so it is safe to do a fresh install at no cost.

Check this site out he is very clear on fresh installs > https://www.youtube.com/c/Britec09/videos

Last edited:

Sun_Force

Local time
Just if anyone else may have the same situation.

I clean installed windows 11 pro on a machine with latest updates of windows 10.
After the installation was completed, Windows refused to be activated. It repeatedly was asking for activation code for windows 11.

After researching for an hour or so, it seemed that I hadn't selected the correct edition during installation.
There was a button in activation window "Upgrade Edition". Clicking this button restarted the PC. Windows was activated and Edition was changed to Windows 11 Pro for Workstations.

Seems that there's two edition for Pro.

@isladogs
I have a triple monitor setup for gaming and I use your DoDim function in one of my databases.
In windows 10, whenever I ran your DoDim function, the main monitor was dimmed, no matter which monitor the database was opened in.
For example if the database was in monitor1 or monitor3, running DoDim function, darkened monitor2 (main monitor)

Since I'm using windows 11, the monitor that the database is opened in, is dimmed.
It means if I move the database to monitor3 and run your function, monitor3 is dimmed.

I'm not sure if it was a Windows side problem or my setting problem, but thought you may want to know it.[/b]

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
It's not a problem, if you own Windows 10 Home Edition on your computer, you cannot upgrade to Windows 11 Pro for free. You need to upgrade to the version you own. Hope this makes sense.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:50
if you own Windows 10 Home Edition on your computer, you cannot upgrade to Windows 11 Pro for free.
i've been using cracked versions of all windows/office, there is no problem upgrading them.
it also automatically perform update. the beauty is those underground crackers came from ms?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
i've been using cracked versions of all windows/office, there is no problem upgrading them.
it also automatically perform update. the beauty is those underground crackers came from ms?
Yeah but that's not the topic of this thread, but I do not doubt it.

Sun_Force

Local time
It's not a problem, if you own Windows 10 Home Edition on your computer, you cannot upgrade to Windows 11 Pro for free.
Yes I was aware of that. But during installation, There was only 6 types to select from : Home, Home N, Pro, Pro N, Education, Education N.
Since I was running Windows 10 Pro, I selected Windows 11 Pro.
But even that was not enough. Now my windows is 11 Pro for workstations. And I have no idea what that is. I'm now googling : "compare Pro & Pro For Workstation Editions" to see what's the difference.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yes I was aware of that. But during installation, There was only 6 types to select from : Home, Home N, Pro, Pro N, Education, Education N.
Since I was running Windows 10 Pro, I selected Windows 11 Pro.
But even that was not enough. Now my windows is 11 Pro for workstations. And I have no idea what that is. I'm now googling : "compare Pro & Pro For Workstation Editions" to see what's the difference.
That's interesting because I have done this dozens of times and never had that glitch. I will be upgrading my home version 10 to 11 soon just for fun. So I will let you know how it goes, thanks for your update! Good to know.

Edit: I will do a clean install and delete all partitions.

Sun_Force

Local time
I guess it's time to back up my stuff... :)
I hope your PC is compatible with the requirements.

As a personal note, I have read a lot of articles against Microsoft. And I never understand what they are talking about. Every software evolves and during its evolution, there are a lot of problems that comes and are solved. What are these people talking about. If Microsoft had listened to them, we would still be running windows 95 or prior to that.
I don't know windows prior to 7 due to my age, but from what I hear from my dad, they've been disasters (comparing to 10 or 11). And I'm sure you don't want to use them anymore. I will update to windows 12, 13 or whatever will come, because I want a better experience. And for sure, I will face problems and bugs. That will be the price I'll pay for a better life, But that's the necessary step for progress. And moreover, there will always be a fix for them.
And a bunch of geniuses like you or others in this forum to help. So What am I afraid of?

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Just finished Windows 11 fresh install, no glitches so far. They did force me to use an MS account, password, and pin which I always passed on before :( Other than that, no errors.

I do have several win10 systems images so I didn't care what happened including deleting all partitions.

Sun_Force

Local time
Just finished Windows 11 fresh install, no glitches so far. They did force me to use an MS account, password, and pin which I always passed on before :( Other than that, no errors.

I do have several win10 systems images so I didn't care what happened including deleting all partitions.
If you disconnect your internet connection, adding Microsoft account will be omitted and will net even shown during install.
In case of PIN, I think it's because of home edition. As a security measure, PIN is disabled in Pro and Pro for Workstation editions by default.
Even if you want to set a PIN, you have to enable it in Group policy Editor (Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - System - Logon - Turn on convenience PIN sign-in)

I think in Home edition, You can disable it anytime in settings. Just type PIN, select the link and click the Remove button.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
If you disconnect your internet connection, adding Microsoft account will be omitted and will net even shown during install.
That was my goto in the past but sadly this time it would not proceed until I gave in and logged into my wifi. No biggie like I said I can go back if want.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I have to say Win 11 found all my HP drivers, I did not have to do anything, that has never happened with many fresh installs. I usually have to reinstall something based on errors found in my device manager, sweet.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
In case of PIN, I think it's because of home edition. As a security measure, PIN is disabled in Pro and Pro for Workstation editions by default.
Even if you want to set a PIN, you have to enable it in Group policy Editor (Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - System - Logon - Turn on convenience PIN sign-in)

I think in Home edition, You can disable it anytime in settings. Just type PIN, select the link and click the Remove button.
Just figured out what was going on, if you have windows 11 Home you can't make a local account for login purposes. But if have the pro version you can bypass the login and create a local account as you mentioned.

The pro version(s) usually does not offer enough benefits to warrant the extra cost, but I do like creating local accounts 😀

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 21:50
Well I tried that and it still tells me my PC does not support TMP2 ?
1633965160489.png

Sun_Force

Local time
Well I tried that and it still tells me my PC does not support TMP2 ?
The registry key that Microsoft has suggested is for unsupported Processor . Not lack of TMP2.
Almost all PCs that have been sold in the past 5 years are equipped with TMP2. Check your bios if TMP2 is enabled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom