cleaning tables (1 Viewer)

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:03
I have a main table that contains all animals, present past and future (newborns). The trouble is as with any table you wind up with excess files that are no longer used (junk) in it. What I need to know is how to clean the table. Strange question I know but let me take you through this. I have animals that have died or otherwise considered a loss or have been sold. .

Do I remove these sold/loss animals to a new table or just check for these dates (to be null) when I use forms or printings and leave them in the main table. Which is the best way.

Thanks

Blade

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Generally speaking I would keep the history in the table and use the date field (or a status field) to draw out the current data.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
I would keep all that, those are your statistics. Deaths per year, sales per year, species mix by year, all that good stuff, and you can start to see patterns in your business that help you plan.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:03
you generally tend to add some sort of flag (a checkbox or a date) to distinguish records that are not required. That way you can often reconstruct the position as at a previous point in time, which may be useful.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
you generally tend to add some sort of flag (a checkbox or a date) to distinguish records that are not required. That way you can often reconstruct the position as at a previous point in time, which may be useful.

Have two, Date of Sale and Date of Loss. WHile there are many ways to a loss, the date still winds up here. Of course the date of sale is evident. Since I use the group and location to keep an eye on them, when a loss due to death has occurred, the group becomes 'Deceased' and location becomes 'Ancestry'. This comes in handy when I need to recall the genealogy of an animal. Of course I also have the original records of loss and sale, etc. in other tables.

Thanks again for your quick replies. I do appreciate it.

Blade

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom