Code to "append" data from one table to another with attachment fields. (1 Viewer)

cyberman55

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:57
I've seen many postings on the issue of Access not allowing an append query from one table to another when the query contains an attachment field. I distribute a back-end/front-end solution and this made it impossible to enable this "feature" for our users since it makes it a mess when it comes time to upgrade them and move data from the old back end to a new one.

In fact, I was very upset to learn this the hard way. I enabled attachments for users in 2008 only to find out during the next upgrade that I could not move the data. I quickly disabled the feature in the next release. About a year ago, I created a function that allowed attachments to be moved, but it was hard-coded to a specific case and only allowed one attachment per record to be moved. Recently, I revisited the problem and pieced together a solution. It's very handy since it can handle any two similarly structured tables and just takes the names of source and target tables (and optionally, the name of an attachment field).

As a new user here, I could not upload the sample database (even in zipped form, the upload fails with a message about tokens). I created a developer's page on my website (informedcorp.com) with a link from my home page (at the top). Currently, there are two sample databases for download there and I hope some of you find them useful. I'll keep adding to the library as time allows.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom