COMBO BOX FOR SUBJECTS AND ADD MARKS MANUALLY (1 Viewer)

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:05
i suggest you make a mockup of your form.
how you want it to appear.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:05
I agree with arnelgp the Op needs to give us an example of how he want his Form to look.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:05
@arnelgp We talk about normalization here all the time. It is the foundation of database design. One of the mistakes novices make is to create repeating groups. i.e. they use a number of columns to hold multiple occurrences of data rather than create the normalized structure which is a separate table with a row for each occurrence. Your example created a repeating group with four columns. One for each marking period.. When a novice gets a sample created for him by an expert, he thinks the expert has used professional techniques and I'm pretty sure you know that a repeating group is not the professional solution..

I am alive

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:05
@arnelgp We talk about normalization here all the time. It is the foundation of database design. One of the mistakes novices make is to create repeating groups. i.e. they use a number of columns to hold multiple occurrences of data rather than create the normalized structure which is a separate table with a row for each occurrence. Your example created a repeating group with four columns. One for each marking period.. When a novice gets a sample created for him by an expert, he thinks the expert has used professional techniques and I'm pretty sure you know that a repeating group is not the professional solution..
Thanks for your information on normalization table. I want to thank this forum. I have really learnt alot on ms access. I would wish to know more on normalization tables. I am still new in ms access. Thanks.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:05
There are lots of threads here on the topic where we explain how to turn spreadsheet like schemas into workable RDBMS schemas. There is an example right here in this thread. @mike60smart showed how to properly store grades as one row per "test". Please post if you have specific questions.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Here is something Micron would post.
I've had to copy from another forum, so just copy and paste the links.

Normalization Parts I, II, III, IV, and V
and/or

Entity-Relationship Diagramming: Part I, II, III and IV

Edit: Wow, I just pasted the urls and the site converted them to links? And there is me creating them manually each time?🙄

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:05
If you really want to learn about normalization of databases, then go to the web and try "Database Normalization" for a search. You have to include the word "Database" since by itself, "Normalization" is used in databases, politics, chemistry, math, and social science - and maybe a few more beyond that.

You will get a pot-load of articles. (You get to guess what kind of pot.) For starters, look at articles from .EDU sites - colleges and universities - since they will be less likely to try to sell you something. Once you have a bit more confidence in what you have read, return to the .COM sites for more articles. Eventually you will be comfortable with the subject and will recognize that the .COM sites are sometimes trying to sell you something but also have some nuggets of wisdom for you.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Wow, I just pasted the urls and the site converted them to links?

Also if you post a "time indexed" YouTube video link, the forum software starts the YouTube off at the correct time Index!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom