Combo box showing ID vs. Name (1 Viewer)

chrizzis

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:01
Hi,
I have a junction table, a reference table, and the primary table set up:

tbl_mbr
(PK) mbr_ID
first_name
last_name

tblJoin_mbrSkills
(PK) mbr_ID
(PK) skill_ID
years_exp

tblRef_skills
(PK) skill_ID
skill_name
skill_description

I connected and forced referential integrity:
tbl_mbr.mbr_ID 1-many tblJoin_mbrSkills.mbr_ID
tblRef_skill_ID 1-many tblJoin_mbrSkills.skill_ID

I created queries for the forms:

-query for the fields for the main form
qryMbrInfo:
SELECT (fields) FROM tbl_mbr;

-query for individual member skills from junction table
qryMbrSkills:
SELECT tblJoin_mbrSkills.mbr_ID, tblJoin_mbrSkills.skill_ID, tblJoin_mbrSkills.years_exp, tblRef_skills.skill_name
FROM tblRef_skills INNER JOIN tblJoin_mbrSkills ON tblRef_skills.skill_ID = tblJoin_mbrSkills.skill_ID;

-query for combo box for adding new skill
qrySkillsInfo:
SELECT skill_ID, skill_name
FROM tblRef_skills;

I created the main form based on qryMbrInfo and added fields. Then I created a subform based on qryMbrSkills in Continuous Forms View and added the combo box in the subform with the Control Source set to skill_ID and Row Source set to qrySkillsInfo. I want the combo box to show the name, but it shows the ID. If I set the control source to skill_name, I get duplicate entries in the reference table.

Thanks in advance,
-C

maxmangion

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:01
Set the rowsource property of your combo box to: Select tablename.skill_ID, tablename.skill_name FROM tablename (replace tablename with the actual name of your table).

Also set the column count property to 2 and make sure to put two sizes in the column width property, the first one being 0 to hide the skill_id .. i.e. the column widths property should be something like 0;2.54

chrizzis

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks!
Worked like a charm.

chrizzis

Registered User.
Local time
I tried to recreate the successful combo box in the same process as before and now when I open the subform, the highlighted portion in the box is the ID. It also shows the name. The other records show only the name, and when I click somewhere else it displays correctly. It's just that initial navigation to the subform or opening of the subform that it displays the ID of the highlighted record.
Any insights?

chrizzis

Registered User.
Local time
The problem is that I have a field behind it that is active when I open the form. In my other form, I have 4 fields, but only 2 can be tabbed into. I forgot how to do that for this form.
Anyone remember how?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom