Solved Comma to count Quantity and Separate Insert in the Report (1 Viewer)

smtazulislam

Local time
Today, 09:28
Hello, peace be upon your
I have a textbox [short text] in continuous form where I added data like
FacilityIDDateCodeItems Received QuantityTotal QuantityItems QualityItems Status
101/11/20222022110001Laptop, Mobile Set, TV,1?????UsedCurrent
212/12/20222022120024Sleeping Accessories, Refrigerator Family Size1??????NewCurrent

I tried to USING, LTrim, REPLACE, SPLIT function but at last not success to enter the new Text in the report.
I would like to insert "Items Received" put in the report page separate textbox after COMMA,

SLDateCodeItems Received QuantityItems QualityItems Status
101/11/20222022110001Laptop1UsedCurrent
2Mobile Set1UsedCurrent
3TV1UsedCurrent
4Sleeping Accessories1NewCurrent
5Refrigerator Family Size1UsedCurrent

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 14:28
i made a function that will split your Items Received field.
i call it it the Union Query.
then i made the Final Query.
from Final Query, i made the report.

Attachments

• splitForReport.accdb
    992 KB · Views: 71

XPS35

Local time
Today, 08:28
The real problem here is that the table is not designed correctly. If you can receive several goods under the same code, you need at least two tables. Your solution can cause all sorts of other problems. For example, what if you receive 1 laptop and 2 TVs? Or did you accidentally enter a full stop instead of a comma?

smtazulislam

Local time
The real problem here is that the table is not designed correctly. If you can receive several goods under the same code, you need at least two tables. Your solution can cause all sorts of other problems. For example, what if you receive 1 laptop and 2 TVs? Or did you accidentally enter a full stop instead of a comma?
Thanks for your advice.
I guess and understood what you are advice me. but I can't do that because, We need to subform display a line with on a textbox.
Actually it was inserted in pup up form, and also same sales invoice, Texes Invoice, Date is different, for an employee.
All of the thing discussed, we decide to created a textbox for all items in the sub-form.

ebs17

Local time
Today, 08:28
@XPS35 is mercilessly right, and not all problems have been mentioned.

Note: Assembling is easier and more efficient than separating. Therefore, in a database environment, atomic content will be stored in table fields (1st normal form) and content will only be assembled when required (for human viewing).

The database solution presented has the systematic problem that the UNION query must be derived from the unknown number of individual items. It can easily be that the set hardcoded number of 9 is not enough. So what? If you have to reprogram through some data more, you have a big problem. Furthermore, VBA.Split is not a very slim function, due to the repeated repetition and additionally via the UNION query, which subsequently does not allow index use, a performance problem has been created that then becomes noticeable with corresponding amounts of data.

Last edited:

smtazulislam

Local time
The database solution presented has the systematic problem that the UNION query must be derived from the unknown number of individual items. It can easily be that the set hardcoded number of 9 is not enough. So what? If you have to reprogram through some data more, you have a big problem.
Thanks, I getting your point.
So, this query UNION can't possible more then 10 items data, if I need more then I have to add and fixed how many items want to display.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:28
This is a situation where a multi-value field would be preferable to a comma separated string. I never use multi-value field but CSV is worse.

The desired report output is more like how your data should be saved - each item is a record.

There is a 50 SELECT lines limitation for UNION. Could just build the UNION with 50 lines and hope there are never more. Otherwise, use temporary table to write records for report. But would really be best to redesign schema. Your reason for not normalizing doesn't make sense. Might provide your db for analysis.

Advise not to use space in naming convention.

Last edited:

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 14:28
So, this query UNION can't possible more then 10 items data
you can extend the quey to how much items you want to "extract".
remember that the SQL string has limits as to how many characters of length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom