Complex Query (1 Viewer)

Drand

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:22
Hi All

This is a bit messy!

I have a table with 57 fields which denote responses to a survey.

There are 135 companies that provide the data, each with a number of staff who respond culminating in a table with over 250,000 records.

Not every company has to supply data for all of the fields. The required responses are specific to each country.

My goal is to locate fields that have not been completed (null), again specific to the rules for that company.

To that end, I have another table (tblDataRules) with the same fields as the raw data table, with yes/no responses for each company if data is required or not. The objective here is to find null values, and then check if that field is required for that company, and then do something if it is required data.

I have tried a query that includes the raw data 57 fields, and establishes the null values. I added the tblDataRules to the query, each field with a where expression set to true.

Because of the number of fields in the query this becomes too complex for Access to evaluate.

Is there another way I can approach this?

Would appreciate some guidance on this.

Many thanks

ebs17

Local time
Today, 05:22
Inappropriate table and data structures provoke difficult and complex processing.
With processing-ready structures, processing can be very easy and fast. Therefore, database development always starts with data modeling, the sports car SQL just runs faster and more relaxed on a slippery road than when you send it off-road.
Don't use Yes/No fields to store preferences
I think you need an UNPIVOT as a first step. With a list table instead of a matrix table, queries become very easy.

If you should continue here with suggestions: for this you need to know tables and their structures, not just stories, there are ...

It would be practical if you provided the original table with records reduced to a few cases (data anonymized, but not alienated from the meaning) in a database.

Drand

Registered User.
Local time
Inappropriate table and data structures provoke difficult and complex processing.
With processing-ready structures, processing can be very easy and fast. Therefore, database development always starts with data modeling, the sports car SQL just runs faster and more relaxed on a slippery road than when you send it off-road.

Don't use Yes/No fields to store preferences
I think you need an UNPIVOT as a first step. With a list table instead of a matrix table, queries become very easy.

If you should continue here with suggestions: for this you need to know tables and their structures, not just stories, there are ...

It would be practical if you provided the original table with records reduced to a few cases (data anonymized, but not alienated from the meaning) in a database.
Thanks for the response.

Attached is a sample table of the raw data.

Attachments

• ExampleDatabase.accdb
    1.1 MB · Views: 62

ebs17

Local time
The work is done without doing anything. There are no gaps or NULL content in your table, apart from the complete fields 2 and 3. You would see for yourself.

The thing shown is a complete waste of time. Please just waste your time.

Drand

Registered User.
Local time
Wow. You asked for a copy of the table. I assumed you wanted to see the table structure not the data, assuming that the real data would have Null records.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 11:22
respond culminating in a table with over 250,000 records
the uploaded db is but a sample.

i was thinking maybe you will be needing a VBA (recordset) to match those "unanswered required fields".

arnelgp

Local time
but without your "rule" table, we wouldn't know which field is required for a specific company/country.
also since there is no "blank" fields on the sample, you can provide a simple "case" study demo.

Drand

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks again

Hopefully, the attached will clarify!

The point with this is, any company may or may not be required to complete a particular field in the survey. tblDataRules is designed (rightly or wrongly) to look at this.

Attachments

• ExampleDatabase.accdb
    1.9 MB · Views: 63

Drand

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks again

Hopefully, the attached will clarify!

The point with this is, any company may or may not be required to complete a particular field in the survey. tblDataRules is designed (rightly or wrongly) to look at this.
Sorry. Just assume that across 250,000 records there could be blanks in any field in any record

arnelgp

Local time
you run fnRunRule function in Module1.
it will save the id of any record that does not pass your table tblDataRules to tblDump.
view the result in query1.

Attachments

• ExampleDatabase (1).accdb
    1.3 MB · Views: 57

Drand

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks again for this.

I have imported into my project but when the run the function I get an error "Item not found in this collection" at the line

varValue = .Fields(fldName).Value

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 20:22
I was going to suggest a VBA/recordset solution for this (definitely without bragging, as there may be a much superior SQL-based solution), but it looks like it was already done. Does seem like a reasonable scenario for VBA.

Especially if this is only a one-time or occasional thing, and if there is not any particular benefit to having the results of the check totally integrated into the database itself, I would also consider Excel VBA for this (data dump to Excel and then using various Excel vba methods to check it).
Excel is extremely fast in checking its own cell data, sometimes I feel a bit faster than certain Access scenarios involving considerations regarding recordsets, cursor types and paging/seeking/screen rendering-type of activity.

Glad it sounds like you got something that works (y)

XPS35

Local time
IMHO your design is totally wrong. This is Excel not a relational database design. I think your database for a one time survey should look something like:
rules.jpg

tblQuestionAppliesToCountry discribes which answers apply to a country. You can generate records to the tblAnswer initially based on the content of the other tables.

arnelgp

Local time
the function I get an error "Item not found in this collection" at the line
that is why in my code there is a code:

On Error Resume Next

you have FirstName and LastName field in tblDataRules table which are not in tblConsolRawData.
copy tblDataRules to new table (as backup) and remove those fields not in tblConsolRawData.

Drand

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, my mistake.

There were actually a few anomalies in my tables which I have now fixed.

The function now works brilliantly.

Once again, thanks for your assistance and patience!

Cheers

Drand

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry arnelgp.

I have been doing some testing and one thing is puzzling. The function does not recognise missing data in the second column., "Survey Methodology (Legacy Anonymous / Linked Data)". It works for all other columns just not this one.

arnelgp

Local time
on your sample data, tblConsolRawData, you only have CountryCode 3 and 9.
on your rule table, tblDataRules, CountryCode =3, "Survey Methodology (Legacy Anonymous / Linked Data)" field is Not Requied.
while on CountryCode = 9, it is Required field.

therefore, only countrycode = 9 are imported to tblDump.

i did a test again on your sample data.

Drand

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, obviously that was only a sample of the data. There are actually 124 country codes with rules applicable to each of these. When I turn the rule on/off it works for all fields except the second one.

arnelgp

Local time
try it with sample data.
copy your "raw" data to another table.
then from the "raw" data, delete all records except 5 or more countries with blanks on that fields.
run the function.
and compare the result with that of your "rule" table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom