Solved Concatenating Field in Table (1 Viewer)

KComfort16

Local time
Today, 06:02
Is there a way to Concatenate Fields Automatically as the needed Fields are completed - Without a Query?

Situation
Table - ID ONLY
Columns - PartID, MoldID, PressID, RecordID
RecordID = [PartID]&"-"&[MoldID]&"."&[PressID] - this is my Unique Valve used with other Append Queries.

Unique Valve because PartID and MoldID can be Associated with MANY PressID - and when I run the Append Queries using RecordID as a Unique Valve Limits the Duplication of Records.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Your reinventing the wheel, but your wheel is egg shaped with a flat spot and weighs 3 tons. And you don't really know how to invent it thus your here. There's an easy, better alternative--an autonumber primary key on your table.

Add a primary key to your table and it is guaranteed to be unique to the record. Best of all, Access does all the heavy lifting for you--generates it, adds it to the record and ensures its unique.

As sure I am of that actually being the solution to this, I am sure that's not going to satisfy you. So please tell us why and tell us what it is your are actually trying to accomplish. Perhaps demonstrate it with data.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:02
Hi. Have you tried using a Calculated Column?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Unique Valve because PartID and MoldID can be Associated with MANY PressID
do you realize you have just defined the purpose of a database? =) your data needs to be in more than one table, and needs to have a relationship between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom