Concatenating First and Last names doesn't seem to work (1 Viewer)

foxxrunning

Local time
Today, 01:26
Trying to create a report in which I concatenate a First Name and Last Name. Should be textbook simple. This is the code
=[Patients]![Firstname]+" "+[Patients]![LastName]
which I put in the Control Source field for the text box . Tried it with & and +.
What happens is when I change from design view to Report view, instead of seeing the Firstname and Lastname fields together, I get a msgbox asking me for First Name. Why does a msgbox pop up instead of the actual concatenated field???

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. One reason it might ask you is if you somehow accidentally misspelled the name of the field. If so, double-check the name of the control bound to the firstname field and try to use it. Hope that helps...

foxxrunning

Local time
I used the expression builder and chose each field from within it. Didn't spell it out longhand at all.

foxxrunning

Local time
That worked. Wow. Why? I thought it is necessary to reference the table + field to properly point the source where it needs to be. Guess not. Thanks alot for your help.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
That worked. Wow. Why? I thought it is necessary to reference the table + field to properly point the source where it needs to be. Guess not. Thanks alot for your help.
That depends, but I guess not in your case. Glad to hear you got it to work. Good luck with your project.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I do not know for sure. If you are doing this in a form which has a table attached to it. Then the table name would be redundant.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:26

The reference is to a field in the recordset of the report. There are no table names there.

BTW When there are two fields with the same name from different tables in a query, the tablename gets included.
However it is important to realise the name of the field in these cases is not [tablename].[fieldname]
but [tablename.fieldname]

foxxrunning

Local time
Thanks everyone. This is new information to me. I will remember the [tablename].[fieldname] vs [tablename.fieldname] info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom