Concatenating multiple fields and ignoring null fields (1 Viewer)

Invader89

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:50
Hello,

I need some help in concatenating multiple fields while ignoring fields that have no values in them. The concatenation also needs to separate the values with a comma.

Last edited:

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 19:50
Names: (Column1 + ",") & (Column2 + ",") & (Column3 + ",") & (Column4 + ",") & LastColumn

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:50
arnelgp's solution seems to work fine and certainly is simpler than mine. I didn't think you could concatenate nulls like that. In any case I as I said in the other thread these fields look like they should be data in another table.

Invader89

Registered User.
Local time
Names: (Column1 + ",") & (Column2 + ",") & (Column3 + ",") & (Column4 + ",") & LastColumn

Thanks, this method seems to work. However I see that after it concatenates the programs that a comma is left at the end. Any way to fix this?

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
If you decide to go with the two table structure I suggested, let me know and I'll send you code that will produce this string from those tables without the coma at the end.

Invader89

Registered User.
Local time
If you decide to go with the two table structure I suggested, let me know and I'll send you code that will produce this string from those tables without the coma at the end.

I see that we are communicating on two different threads so lets stick to this one so we don't get confused :).

Last edited:

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
The query All Personnel in the attached database produces what you want for all of the records in the Personel table, I think. I wrote a function to produce the string of names. I can't think of any other way of doing that. If the database ends up with lot of records this is going to be a slow query.

Please take a look at the report I put in this. It's messy because I did it in a hurry, but it's how this is normally done. If you could live with the programs being in columns this would be the way to go. I doesn't require any code.

I didn't include anything to select the people. I wanted to get this back to you. If you need help on that let me know.

Last edited:

Invader89

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks sneuberg! the All Personnel.

Last edited:

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
After the user selects multiple programs let say in a list box and clicks on a button, can the output you are looking for appear in a report or does it have to appear in a subform?

I cannot find a solution to this that involves a subform. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/135546 shows a way of making a filter with multiple selections but that results in duplicates in the result as one person could be multiple programs. However there might be some way to do this in a report. At least it might be easier to get rid of the duplicates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom