Solved Concatenation producing weird result (1 Viewer)

Abes

Local time
Today, 23:14
Need some know how here please. I have created a query from a single table and have several columns which amongst others includes one for "surname" and one for "initials". When I run the query the surnames and initials show up, no problem there.
When I however try to concatenate the two fields in a new query column using the following syntax

Expr1: [surname] & [initials]

and then run the query the result for this concatenated column is a list of two digit numeric values instead of the combined surname and initials. Nowhere else in the table is there fields that contain these two digit numeric values so where they are coming from is a mystery to me.

What am I doing wrong?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 21:14
Have you used lookup fields in your tables?

Abes

Local time
Yes

Abes

Local time
Thanks for the bad news - lol. That is clearly where my problems are coming from, some serious work waiting for me to fix that lot up................

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
It's not impossible to work around, but the best way is to make the look values and table relationships yourself and remove the lookups.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
For the time being, bring in the descriptive data from the lookup tables into the query, and concatenate that.?

Abes

Local time
Will look at whats going to to work for me, thanks.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:14
ome serious work waiting for me to fix that lot up
if they are coming a numbers then check the lookup table name and add it in the
query.

see query1 on how to do it.

Attachments

• lookuptables.accdb
    468 KB · Views: 458

Abes

Local time
Thanks all, sorted, without your assistance I would probably still be clicking around aimlessly.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:14
Thanks all, sorted, without your assistance I would probably still be clicking around aimlessly.
Hi. Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your solution in case others could also benefit from it? Thanks.

Abes

Local time
Followed the advice given by Minty and "make the look values and table relationships yourself and remove the lookups", this after having read the article you pointed me to regarding the evils of lookups in tables.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:14
Followed the advice given by Minty and "make the look values and table relationships yourself and remove the lookups", this after having read the article you pointed me to regarding the evils of lookups in tables.
I'm sure you made the right decision. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom