Conditional formatting on continuous subform. (1 Viewer)

LOUISBUHAGIAR54

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:52
I have a continuous subform on a form. I have applied conditional formatting with expression is.. so that the formatting on one object (field on the subform) depends on whether there is anything in another field on the same subform named "Remarks".

My problem is that I this is not working to my expectations. First of all when the form with the subform is loaded the conditional formatting does not appear immediately. One has to run over the fields with the mouse with the hope that the conditional formatting appears.

Secondly the conditional formatting is not working well as they should.

Has anyone had the same experience.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:52
First of all when the form with the subform is loaded the conditional formatting does not appear immediately.
conditional formatting is a process that is performed once the data is visible in the form so as you scroll down a continuous form the newly visible records are then formatted.

Conditional formatting can be subject to delay depending on a) the amount of conditional formatting and b) the complexity/efficiency of the condition expression. For example, if 'remarks' is a memo field this may slow things down, particularly if the empty state is null. One way you may speed this up is to have a calculated field in your recordsource to return a Boolean value e.g.

HasRemark:not remarks is null

then your conditional expression becomes

HasRemark=true

Secondly the conditional formatting is not working well as they should.
without knowing what 'should' is, I can't really comment

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I find conditional formatting a bit clumsy at times.

I have some code to highlight the active control properties, which also has to un-highlight the active control on exit from the control. It works nicely on a single form, but a pain on a continuous form, as it highlights the current control on EVERY row. But conditional formatting is not as easy an alternative as you would hope.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:52
I have some code to highlight the active control properties, which also has to un-highlight the active control on exit from the control. It works nicely on a single form, but a pain on a continuous form, as it highlights the current control on EVERY row.

Such is the nature of ContinousForms when you change the property of a control becuase the multiply displayed controls are all instances of the same control.

But conditional formatting is not as easy an alternative as you would hope.

How so?

Conditional Formatting includes a condition "Field Has Focus" that appears to work just fine, only affecting the control in the current record. (I think it was introduced in A2007.)

smig

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:52
Conditional format works perfect for me (and I use it a lot), though it can get leggy sometimes as CJ_London said.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
How so?

Conditional Formatting includes a condition "Field Has Focus" that appears to work just fine, only affecting the control in the current record. (I think it was introduced in A2007.)

thanks for that G. Useful tip

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom