Solved Connect Access with Woocommerce via REST API (1 Viewer)

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:51
I sent you a PM
I need a site other than example.com - ie your actual website name

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
but I don't have a Bearer token.
Bearer token will come in a cookie in the http response. You'll likely not have one before you have authenticated

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It's good now. I sent you working code in a PM.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I used the VBA I posted in #6, but I needed a real website - the WooCommerce help see #13 used www.example.com, but that returned a 400 error with a text (json) response I didn't really understand. @perlfan gave me his website, and when I replaced example.com with his website it returned the metadata (if you will), but to return genuine data such as orders, you need to pass in authorisation details, which I didn't have. The WooCommerce RestAPI site gives examples of how to construct the request.

I think it only returns data with e-commerce sites that do use WooCommerce, so you can't easily test it without a genuine site.

I wonder if when it says curl blah on the WooCommerce , the curl command is a c variant of the URL. Anyway it was pretty tricky to find the right way of doing it with VBA, but there's snippets here and there.

I think the authorisation is passed in with the action request, rather than as a separate authorization as in my example, or maybe there's a choice of ways to do it.

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:51
I used the VBA I posted in #6, but I needed a real website - the WooCommerce help see #13 used www.example.com, but that returned a 400 error with a text (json) response I didn't really understand. @perlfan gave me his website, and when I replaced example.com with his website it returned the metadata (if you will), but to return genuine data such as orders, you need to pass in authorisation details, which I didn't have. The WooCommerce RestAPI site gives examples of how to construct the request.

I think it only returns data with e-commerce sites that do use WooCommerce, so you can't easily test it without a genuine site.

I wonder if when it says curl blah on the WooCommerce , the curl command is a c variant of the URL. Anyway it was pretty tricky to find the right way of doing it with VBA, but there's snippets here and there.

I think the authorisation is passed in with the action request, rather than as a separate authorization as in my example, or maybe there's a choice of ways to do it.
Okay, thanks. I was just curious. The code you posted in #6 used Bearer authentication, but I saw in their API documentation that they only need Basic authentication.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
This site

Said checking the account info (only) didn't need any authorisation, but other commands needed credentials to be included.

My own experience was with bearer authentication, but the WooCommerce site shows the authentication being passed in differently. Whether that is basic, or just another way of providing bearer information, I don't know to be honest, and I didn't expect the op to give me his actual login credentials anyway.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Okay, thanks. I was just curious. The code you posted in #6 used Bearer authentication, but I saw in their API documentation that they only need Basic authentication.

Bit of a pain to do in the end. @perlfan created a staging website for me and set me up with a login, that produced a userkey and userpassword. This link

Authentication over HTTPS – WooCommerce REST API Documentation - WP REST API v3

The documentation says the authentication is managed within the URL you use with the GET or POST, and explains what you should do, but I couldn't get the -u syntax to work. I tried loads of things.

I was finally able to get it working with the alternative ? syntax

curl https://www.example.com/wp-json/wc/v3/orders?consumer_key=123&consumer_secret=abc

I think the key was to have no spaces at all in the text after the ?

so this code below, with the WOO constants provided by @perlfan and with no Bearer or Basic command produces a 200 response, and a JSON .responsetext. The authentication/authorisation appears to be managed by the key and secret pair supplied by the WooCommerce/Wordpress login, and here stored as constants WOOkey and WOOsecret.

I should add finally, @perlfan is actually in Germany, and all the responses including 401 and 404 errors were in German which didn't help either.

Code:
Const WOOurl = "https://example.com/wp-json/wc/v3"
'(with example.com replaced by a real WooCommerce website)

strUrl = WOOurl & "/orders"
strUrl = strUrl & "?consumer_key=" & WOOkey & "&consumer_secret=" & WOOsecret

With objRequest
        .Open "GET", strUrl, blnAsync

.setRequestHeader "Accept", "application/json"
        .setRequestHeader "Cache-Control", "max-age-0"
        .send

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Bit of a pain to do in the end. @perlfan created a staging website for me and set me up with a login, that produced a userkey and userpassword. This link

Authentication over HTTPS – WooCommerce REST API Documentation - WP REST API v3

The documentation says the authentication is managed within the URL you use with the GET or POST, and explains what you should do, but I couldn't get the -u syntax to work. I tried loads of things.

I was finally able to get it working with the alternative ? syntax

curl https://www.example.com/wp-json/wc/v3/orders?consumer_key=123&consumer_secret=abc

I think the key was to have no spaces at all in the text after the ?

so this code below, with the WOO constants provided by @perlfan and with no Bearer or Basic command produces a 200 response, and a JSON .responsetext. The authentication/authorisation appears to be managed by the key and secret pair supplied by the WooCommerce/Wordpress login, and here stored as constants WOOkey and WOOsecret.

I should add finally, @perlfan is actually in Germany, and all the responses including 401 and 404 errors were in German which didn't help either.

Code:
Const WOOurl = "https://example.com/wp-json/wc/v3"
'(with example.com replaced by a real WooCommerce website)

With objRequest

.send
Hi Dave. Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Cheers!

PS. That was exactly the page I saw, and it says it right at the top. That's why I got confused.
1662482598541.png

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Hi Dave. Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Cheers!

PS. That was exactly the page I saw, and it says it right at the top. That's why I got confused.
View attachment 103065
I tried to do that but I wasn't clear on the right syntax to include the necessary details. It's so hard to find VBA code samples.

.setRequestHeader "Basic" etc

Last edited:

perlfan

Registered User.
Local time
Fantastic effort, Dave!! You didn't give up and finally worked out a code that works perfectly! Finally it's documented how to authenticate with Woocommerce from MS Access & VBA and retrieve information via REST API. Thank you!!

perlfan

Registered User.
Local time
And this is the code to authenticate with Woocommerce from MS Access & VBA and retrieve information via REST API:

Code:
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Const WOOkey = "ck_XYZ"
Const WOOsecret = "cs_XYZ"
Const WOOtoken = "ck_XYZ:cs_XYZ"
Const WOOurl = "https://yoururl.com/wp-json/wc/v3"

Private Sub GetWooAccountInfo()

Dim JSONObject As Object
    Dim objRequest As Object
    Dim strUrl As String
    Dim blnAsync As Boolean
    Dim strResponse As String

Dim s As String
    Dim fname As String
    Dim fno As Long

DoEvents
    Set objRequest = Nothing
    Set objRequest = CreateObject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP")

strUrl = WOOurl

blnAsync = False

With objRequest

.send

'wait whilst waiting for response
        While objRequest.ReadyState <> 4
            DoEvents
        Wend

If .Status <> 200 Then
            MsgBox "Sorry. There was an error retrieving the orders: Status: " & .Status
            strResponse = .responsetext
        Else
            MsgBox "Data retrieved Successfully: Status " & .Status
        End If

Set objRequest = Nothing
    End With

fno = FreeFile
    fname = CurrentProject.Path & "\" & "JSONText-" & Format(Now, "yyyy-mm-dd-hhnnss") & ".txt"

Open fname For Output As fno

Print #fno, strResponse
    Close #fno

Application.FollowHyperlink fname

'Set JSONObject = JsonConverter.ParseJson(strResponse)
    'i got my parseJson code from GitHub

Exit Sub

End Sub

Private Sub GetWooOrders()

Dim JSONObject As Object
    Dim objRequest As Object
    Dim strUrl As String
    Dim blnAsync As Boolean
    Dim strResponse As String

Dim s As String
    Dim fname As String
    Dim fno As Long

DoEvents
    Set objRequest = Nothing
    Set objRequest = CreateObject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP")

'this was given as an alternative to the -u solution

'MsgBox strUrl

blnAsync = False

With objRequest

.send

'wait whilst waiting for response
        While objRequest.ReadyState <> 4
            DoEvents
        Wend

If .Status <> 200 Then
            MsgBox "Sorry. There was an error retrieving the account information: Status: " & .Status
        Else
            MsgBox "Data retrieved Successfully: Status " & .Status
        End If

Set objRequest = Nothing
    End With

fno = FreeFile
    fname = CurrentProject.Path & "\" & "JSONText-" & Format(Now, "yyyy-mm-dd-hhnnss") & ".txt"

Open fname For Output As fno

Print #fno, strResponse
    Close #fno

Application.FollowHyperlink fname

Exit Sub

End Sub

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom