Continued theology discussion... Not sure what to call this really.... (1 Viewer)

chergh

blah
Local time
Today, 21:15
I'm not sure of the relevance of the question.

It's entirely relevant. According to the bible the earth is a few thousand years old, according to scientists the earth if 4.5 billion years old. Dinosaurs became extinct around 65 million years ago so clearly coudn't have existed if the bible is correct but yet we have evidence they existed. So please can you explain how dinosaurs could have existed if the bible is correct?

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
That is not true, all the theologians I know believe in Genesis. Who specifically are you referring to? Actually, that would point to someone really not being a Christian.... just taking the name of Christian

Hmmmm. I think I know more mainstream Christian theologians who believe in Genesis than I do those who don't. I'm not sure that I've ever seen a reliable study done on this. I know that none of the theologians I know have ever taken part in such a poll. I do know that many Christians interpret different parts of the Bible differently.

I'm just curious as to how these mainstream christian theologians explain how the Jewish race came about, since that is what Genesis explains.
It seems that once again there is a big gap between Europe and America when it comes to Theology. Creationism and a belief in the literal truth of Genesis is much more common in the USA than in Europe.

Many bishops in the Church of England believe in Evolution and only bring in God to start life off. This makes their position much more compatible with the scientific view than that of the creationists.

I do believe that Jews are people just like the rest of us and so presumablely came from exactly same origins as the rest of us.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 13:15
So we're just god's toys then and if we don't love him we're condemmed to eternel hell, sounds like Stalin, Hitler etc. took a leaf out of the good book

I saw this on QI or somewhere the other day - and its so true how often it happens.

Anyway a debating win to the believers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

And well done Rich - with such a quick admission that you have nothing of value to add.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
I saw this on QI or somewhere the other day - and its so true how often it happens.

Anyway a debating win to the believers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

And well done Rich - with such a quick admission that you have nothing of value to add.

So is there also a law that states that a conversation will almost always turn to politics or religion, no matter how they started? :(

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Today, 15:15
The part of Genesis I don't understand is:

God created Adam and Eve - the only humans on Earth
Eve got them banned from the garden of eden
Eve gave birth to two boys, Cane and Able
Cane killed Able and ran away
Cane went to live with another tribe...

So, where did the other tribe come from?

Well, Ouma, I think this is explained by the fact that the Bible only mentions the births of Cain and Abel, It's entirely possible that they had many other children, one of which was Seth, who came later. There are lots of times that Bible only tells us parts of things. I hope it's something I am able to learn later, when I get to Heaven one day. :)

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
It's entirely relevant. According to the bible the earth is a few thousand years old, according to scientists the earth if 4.5 billion years old. Dinosaurs became extinct around 65 million years ago so clearly coudn't have existed if the bible is correct but yet we have evidence they existed. So please can you explain how dinosaurs could have existed if the bible is correct?

I think, though I have no evidence, that it is entirely plausible for dinosaurs to have been alive at the same time as humans. Humans only lived on a tiny portion of the Earth then. As far as dating is concerned, God probably created the earth to be however old our dating methods say, or our dating methods are incorrect. The flood wiped everything out, other than what was in the ocean, or on Noah's ark. As far as how long scientists think dinosaurs have been extinct, I am sure that there is an error there that will be discovered later, that has happened so many times as more and more knowledge about our universe comes into play.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
I do believe that Jews are people just like the rest of us and so presumablely came from exactly same origins as the rest of us.

Rabbie, I agree with you, I think everybody came from the same origins too, the origin is just different. :D

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 13:15
Correct. That is what I believe, that there is only one God and always has only been one God.

Monotheism simply means the belief in 1 god, not a specific god. To what are you referring? Are you saying Christianity has always been around (in some form or another), even 10,000 BCE, 50,000 BCE, 1,000,000 B.C.E etc?

Adam Caramon

Local time
Today, 16:15
I think, though I have no evidence, that it is entirely plausible for dinosaurs to have been alive at the same time as humans.

Then why do you think this? Does it state in the bible somewhere that this is the case? (I've not made it through the bible yet)

The flood wiped everything out, other than what was in the ocean, or on Noah's ark.

2 questions. First, where did the water for the flood come from, and where did it go? If there was enough water to cover the entire Earth, how is the land not under water right now?

And second, are you familiar with the Epic of Gilgamesh? It predates the bible and tells the tale of a flood that decimated all of Mesopotamia (which makes sense since the tale orginates in the area of the Tigris-Euphrates river where flooding was very common). It is often thought by secularists as the inspiration for the bible flood.

Adam Caramon

Local time
Correct. That is what I believe, that there is only one God and always has only been one God.

So do you believe that all religions are just different takes on that 1 God, or are all religions wrong except the one correct religion?

Last edited:

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Well, Ouma, I think this is explained by the fact that the Bible only mentions the births of Cain and Abel, It's entirely possible that they had many other children, one of which was Seth, who came later. There are lots of times that Bible only tells us parts of things. I hope it's something I am able to learn later, when I get to Heaven one day. :)

This would imply that the whole human race is an Inbred race, born of incest..

Isn't incest a sin in religion?

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
This would imply that the whole human race is an Inbred race, born of incest..

Isn't incest a sin in religion?

Actually, it would have to be, given that all life began from two people. I don't think it became wrong until much later.... I'll do some research about it to find what the Bible says about it to see when it actually became something that wasn't appropriate.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
So do you believe that all religions are just different takes on that 1 God, or all all religions wrong expect the one correct religion?

Christian theology explains this by the fact that Satan is loose in this world twisting God's Word into lies in order to deceive people. He is the great deceiver, not to mention as we ourselves are sinners, we look for ways to twist things all the time. So, in a sense your statement is true, but I wouldn't come to the conclusion that they are the same God. Not, of course that you said you did, I'm just sayin'

scott-atkinson

Local time
I am not questioning anybody's right to believe in GOD or have faith..

But I find it quite funny how some people can perceive their world and the historical world to fit the text in a book, just to corroborate the text in the book..

Nostrodamus immediately springs to mind, his scripts are very obscure and people can perceive them in many different ways, and can attribute many different events that happen to his scripts by their own perception..

I read recently Dan Browns - Da-Vinci code, and although I know that is is pure fiction, I could relate lots of historival events and current day events to fit the book to make the text in the book seem true..

Amazes me..

scott-atkinson

Local time
Actually, it would have to be, given that all life began from two people. I don't think it became wrong until much later.... I'll do some research about it to find what the Bible says about it to see when it actually became something that wasn't appropriate.

But why would it suddenly be deemed inappropriate, surely if God had ordained it, he would have had to for the Human Race to be created, then it should be acceptable at all times..

Adam Caramon

Local time
Christian theology explains this by the fact that Satan is loose in this world twisting God's Word into lies in order to deceive people. He is the great deceiver, not to mention as we ourselves are sinners, we look for ways to twist things all the time. So, in a sense your statement is true, but I wouldn't come to the conclusion that they are the same God. Not, of course that you said you did, I'm just sayin'

Well, that doesn't exactly answer my question. Is there 1 true God (the Christian God), and that's it? If so, wouldn't that mean that all other religions have to be wrong?

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
But why would it suddenly be deemed inappropriate, surely if God had ordained it, he would have had to for the Human Race to be created, then it should be acceptable at all times..

I don't know, I'll see what I can find in the Bible about it during lunch. God doesn't do things for no reason, there's always a reason. But let me look into it.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Well, that doesn't exactly answer my question. Is there 1 true God (the Christian God), and that's it? If so, wouldn't that mean that all other religions have to be wrong?

You know my answer to that, yes, there is only one true God, and yes that means other religions are wrong. If I didn't believe that, why would I say I believed a certain way at all?

scott-atkinson

Local time

So does this mean that Allah, and Buddah are fake Gods, or are they the same God just worshiped in a different way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom