Controlling Unauthorized Distribution of Database (1 Viewer)

Pac-Man

Local time
Today, 07:30
Hello,

I have a question. How do you prevent users of your databases to from unauthorized distribution to other users? For example, you have developed database for a school, how do you prevent its distribution to other schools?

Best Regards,
Abdullah

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:30
You issue a .accde rather than a .accdb
You also need to include some sort of licensing mechanism so that it doesn't run in unlicensed circumstance.

Dreamweaver

Local time
also what you could do as a very simple measure is include a simple code that the admin has to enter when first opening a front end you could also check how many copies are being used, I think @isladogs has posted some code for that.

onur_can

Local time
Yesterday, 19:30
Hello, accde publishing file blocking does not prevent it, only the code of the database, form and report design. You distribute the file format when deploying the application already. You will not be prompted for unauthorized use, or you need to investigate e-mail activation, or get the HDD Serial Number method.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
make sure the app is split . accde the FE, password protect the back end or perhaps use sql server/mysql instead. on first use find something unique to the location of the backend (perhaps server name) and embed in the BE properties. On subsequent use, check this information is still valid before allowing user to continue into the app. You'll need to help your genuine customer if they decide to relocate the BE.

So if the db is copied, they will need two files, the FE on it's own is not a viable product

further actions, do not use linked tables in the FE, do not use queries, embed them in code and hash the password to the BE.

All a lot of work to do and best to build in before you start to create your app. Note you will need to use late binding and know the bitness of the access version of your client (32 or 64) for creating the accde

Pac-Man

Local time
Thanks for reply. I'm not a pro in coding. It'll be greatly helpful if some sort of sample db or code is available. I tried to search in Google before posting here but couldn't find any useful.

Last edited:

Dreamweaver

Local time
How to schools get access to the files I.E. Are they downloadable??

Pac-Man

Local time
How to schools get access to the files I.E. Are they downloadable??
I'll give them either by a downloadable link, CD or email. But the db will most probably be offline when it is used.

Pac-Man

Local time
The db is under development and I want to implement something for unlicensed usage before handing them over.

Dreamweaver

Local time
You could as a very simple sollution add a field to say a preferences table or hidden table where you add the school name before zipping and sending them a copy then if you add a lookup on the main control you could display there name.

All my projects are freeware but I do use a registration system I built but can't let that out.

Last edited:

Pac-Man

Local time
if you add a lookup on the main control you could display there name.
Thanks for hint. By sentence, do you mean that I compare the stored string with the band in the form?

Dreamweaver

Local time
No It's just a visual thing but you could take if further by using it for reports, but whatever system you decide to use you'll be commited to it so give it a lot of thought.

Do you have a website if so you could lookup a file on there.

It really is a complexe issue I think @isladogs has a system on his site for website lookups

Pac-Man

Local time
Do you have a website if so you could lookup a file on there
I don't have a website. Actually I had that option in mind before to hard code their name on reports. I was looking for alternate method too if I want to give them control over the name e.g. for branches etc.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It'll be greatly helpful if some sorry of sample db or code is available.

the problem is if you publish the code on how you do it, someone can work backwards and undo it. So I very much doubt you will get a solution that works from the get go. Plus I'm not sure I agree with the idea that it is ok that you get paid for supplying software made up from freely available code - unless it is allowed under license of the original developer - aka MickJav

Dreamweaver

Local time
I agree with @CJ_London you shouldn't start selling systems until you can develope them from start to finish we all use code from the web but if thats all your db contains then freeware.
I could even host the file but wouldn't allow it if I thought you had just stuck a load of code you found together and called it a program.

Pac-Man

Local time
I agree with you on both @CJ_London. I really doubted that I'll get some code to get go for the very same reason you mentioned that someone could reverse engineer it to unlock your application. Plus it is also not okay to use someone's code unless they allow it.

But by this thread I could at least get hints which I can use in my project. I am not pro here so I That's why (despite knowing above all) I still requested for code sample.

Dreamweaver

Local time
I've been at it over 20 years and still wouldn't feel right about selling my programs even though most of the work is mine I'm just in this as always wanted a job working with access but now i'm an old fart I stand little chance lol

Pac-Man

Local time
I doubt if one can develop a system only by assembling all code available on internet. Secondly, registration and unlicensed use is not always meant for selling systems.

Dreamweaver

Local time
You would be suprised what I could put together just from what I've found on the net

Dreamweaver

Local time
As a though I would only need visit my sites templates /examples job done lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom