Coronavirus - are we all doomed? (4 Viewers)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 10:04

Researchers in Germany have found that army sniffer dogs can discern between samples from coronavirus-infected and healthy patients. So high is the level of accuracy, they hope this can be used in real-life scenarios.

View attachment 83757
Wow that's amazing

deletedT

Local time
Today, 18:04
Wow that's amazing
Dogs have been used to detect cancer. Now they're training them to sniff Corona virus.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
That's pretty cool. Whatever the solution(s) is/are....I'm all for it!
As long as they don't start using Bats or Marmots. 😂

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:04
Or the other animal from China that is tied to open-air markets - the pangolin.

The last thing I read on the specific subject of "origin" was that corona virus was very strongly (99+%) indicated as having come from bats. Didn't know there was any tie-in to marmots.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Or the other animal from China that is tied to open-air markets - the pangolin.

The last thing I read on the specific subject of "origin" was that corona virus was very strongly (99+%) indicated as having come from bats. Didn't know there was any tie-in to marmots.
Marmots just came to my mind as another questionable animal eaten over there. Most notably having given a youth the Bubonic Plague in Mongolia recently. Now pangolin I hadn't heard of - sounds like a musical instrument!

deletedT

Local time
Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
They have also restaurants that serves dogs.

I don't think I could eat dog, but you never know it depends how hungry you are! people have been known to eat other people in Desperate situations. This article:-

makes you wonder what you are actually eating, it appears that some unscrupulous people are processing rat meat and making it pass as lamb. I do hope our border control people are testing for such things, they missed the horse didn't they! Do you think they could miss the rat in Ratatouille!

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:04
Good thing there are other uses for detection dogs. With the legalization of pot in many states their use has become problematic.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I've also seen a number of those type of articles, it seems like it is a re-occurring thing, the passing one type of meat off as if it were another.
Just adds another layer of risk to the whole subject!

deletedT

Local time
This article:-
makes you wonder what you are actually eating, it appears that some unscrupulous people are processing rat meat and making it pass as lamb. I do hope our border control people are testing for such things, they missed the horse didn't they! Do you think they could miss the rat in Ratatouille!

This is Gyoza, one of our special foods.

a0000454_main.jpg

It's dumplings filled with ground meat and vegetables and wrapped in a thin dough. The typical Gyoza filling consists of ground pork, nira chives, green onion, cabbage, ginger, garlic, soy sauce and sesame oil.

Several years ago we had a news that all of imported Gyoza from China contains cardboard instead of meat. And how they did know? An employee was fired from the company. He got angry and reported to our embassy. Ever since, nobody eats imported Gyoza from China.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:04
Speaking of Chinese eating almost anything, they are also starting to encroach on protected fisheries in the Galapagos.

As long as they stay just outside the protected area, it is hard to do anything with them. Makes one almost wish that the Godzilla-type movies were about real creatures so their fleet could be removed in a way that couldn't be blamed on another country.

deletedT

Local time
@The_Doc_Man
They're simply killing the world. And nobody can do anything. Not even Godzilla, Batman & Superman.

Their fishing boats rushed to our sees, destroyed our coral reefs, and took almost all of it. We have no army and our security depends on US. We talked to any organization we thought may help, we asked UN to do something, we asked US to help us stopping them coral poaching. But nobody did anything. Because nobody wants to stand in front of them. Not even US.

Prices of precious coral, in particular red corals, have reportedly skyrocketed recently, while coral fishing near the Chinese coasts have been banned by Beijing.
In recent years, this has prompted some Chinese fishermen to travel hundreds of kilometers to waters near Okinawa to poach corals from the seabed, and the poachers now appear to have reached as far as Ogasawara.

Search for China destroys Coral reef and see how many countries have been damaged by their fishing boats.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
That's sad!
Would you say Trump is moving in the right direction on China, generally speaking? (as his positioning and policies have covered various topics)

deletedT

Local time
From where I see it, President Trump had a good start on China, but unfortunately US has a lot of financial problem and is not financially strong enough to stand in front of them. Just imagine what if all of sudden China stops all exports to US.
Everything’s prices would be skyrocketed.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
From where I see it, President Trump had a good start on China, but unfortunately US has a lot of financial problem and is not financially strong enough to stand in front of them. Just imagine what if all of sudden China stops all exports to US.
Everything’s prices would be skyrocketed.
I see your point. Sad but probably true. Well, I hope for anything he might be able to do to somewhat check/pause/slow them.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Not sure if I would blame the COVID situation, but for the first time in my life, I felt the desire to become a gun owner. I have ALWAYS been a supporter of the 2nd amendment but never desired to own a hand gun.

Interesting fact I learned, this past March show the 2nd highest surge in firearms sales - over 60% of the buyers were first-timers such as myself.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
May I ask why?
I really do not know for sure. It could be because:
1. If I did not do it now, I may not be able to do it in the near future.

2. There is a LOT of protesting going on and although the media would have you believe that the whole US is a war zone, it is simply not the case. Be that as it may, you never know where you might end up in your travels.

3. I live in a rural area and home invasions are extremely rare, but they can and do happen.

4. I do not trust Governments - no matter which idiot is in the white house and they are ALL idiots - and although I would be no match for any forces sent to my house, at least I would not be an easy target.

I realize all that sounds extreme and as a conspiracy theorist theme to them but this COVID situation has got me very concerned about how willingly the world's population has allowed themselves to be trained and coerced into blind compliance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom