Country drop-down list (1 Viewer)

AliBabba

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:47
Hello everyone,

I am back (again).

I have a form (Create Guest). Employees can add guests and fill in the details. There is a label Country that Employees can fill in manually.

The problem now is that this is very fault sensitive (people type: "The Netherlands", "Holland" or "Netherlands" for example while this is one country).

How do I create a country drop-down list so that employees won't have to type the country in manually. I don't think adding all the countries in the world in my table is a good solution.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, :).

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 14:47
How do I create a country drop-down list so that employees won't have to type the country in manually. I don't think adding all the countries in the world in my table is a good solution

Data isn't going to magically populate your database, it has to get in there somehow. That means either accepting whatever misspellings and synonyms people put in or giving them limited options to choose from. I'd vote making a countries table and populating it with all the options yourself.

NeutronFlux

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:47
In addition to what plog advised, there are pre-existing lists of countries that you could just import into a table. For instance, you might Google "list of countries excel".

Catalina

Registered User.
Local time
I just finished making a table containing all countries and territories.

It has the following fields:

Country Name, Official Name, ISO3166 Alpha2, ISO3166 Alpha3, ISO3166 Numeric, Area SqKm, Area SqMi,
Currency, Currency Code, Capital City, Calling Code and Internet Code.

If you like to use it let me know.

Catalina

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'd like a copy -- can you zip it and post (either here or somewhere and send a link)
Thanks.

Catalina

Registered User.
Local time
I'd like a copy -- can you zip it and post (either here or somewhere and send a link)
Thanks.

I posted it in the Sample Database section, now waiting to be approved.

Catalina

AliBabba

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks everyone for the replies and thanks for the table Catalina! :)

Catalina

Registered User.
Local time
You're welcome and good luck with the project.

Catalina

DemonDNF

Registered User.
Local time
I tried to import this into Access 2002 but it seems as if this is for a more recent version (it's not in the available list of suffixes).

Has anyone converted this to Access 2002, or earlier?

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom