Crash at Specific Location in VBA Code (1 Viewer)

themurph2000

Fat, drunk, and stupid
Local time
Yesterday, 19:04
Hello. I was trying to diagnose why a form I created, which will search for a record in a table based on criteria in the form, then ask to create it if it doesn't exist, crashes whenever someone answers "no" to the question. Here's the code I cobbled together (or configured for my use, as it were)

Code:
Private Sub Command16_Click()
  Dim rt            As Object
  Dim db            As DAO.Database
  Dim rs            As DAO.Recordset
Set db = CurrentDb()
Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("RateList", dbOpenDynaset, dbAppendOnly)
If DCount("*", "RateList", "JCN = " & Forms!frm_searchjcnlist!txt_invisible_jcnnumber) = 0 Then
    If MsgBox("The Record is Not in the Rate List.  Would you like to add it?", vbYesNo) = vbYes Then
      rs.AddNew
      rs!JCN = Me.txt_invisible_jcnnumber
      rs!ParentItem = Me.txt_invisible_jcnparent
      rs!OriginalName = Me.txt_invisible_jcnparent
      rs!CreatedDate = Date
      rs.Update
      Me.Requery
      Else: Me.txt_invisible_jcnparent = ""
      Me.txt_invisible_jcnnumber = ""
      End If
End If
    ' Find the record that matches the control.
    Set rt = Forms!frm_searchjcnlist.Recordset.Clone
    rt.FindFirst "[JCN] = " & Str(Nz(Me![txt_invisible_jcnnumber], 0))
    If Not rt.EOF Then Forms!frm_searchjcnlist.Bookmark = rt.Bookmark
    Me.txt_invisible_jcnparent = ""
End Sub

Since the code has no problem when "yes" is clicked, I figured I must be putting something in there that shouldn't be or forgot to put something in.

Thank you for any suggestions.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 17:04
For starters, I'm not a fan of mixing the one-line and block formats of the If/Then. Don't know that it would cause any error, but I'd do this:

Code:
Else

Secondly, if I'm reading it right if they answer no that code will fire and set the textboxes to "", but then you turn around and try to find a record based on one. I'd just exit sub at that point (or go to your exit handler if you have error handling).

themurph2000

Fat, drunk, and stupid
Local time
Yesterday, 19:04
For starters, I'm not a fan of mixing the one-line and block formats of the If/Then. Don't know that it would cause any error, but I'd do this:

Code:
Else

Secondly, if I'm reading it right if they answer no that code will fire and set the textboxes to "", but then you turn around and try to find a record based on one. I'd just exit sub at that point (or go to your exit handler if you have error handling).

The Exit Sub did the trick. I was confused because I had the same code for a second search box, only the search was done by the job number instead of the job title (integer vs string). That one wasn't giving me any problems.

Awesome. Thanks!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 17:04
Happy to help Patrick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom