Create a Shortcut When Database Executable is Used (1 Viewer)

Leesha16

Local time
Today, 13:01
Hi,
I have a database with a front and back end. I use Winzip to create an executable to deploy these files to the user's computer. This works fine. My issue is that I need to be able to have a shortcut created on the user's desktop as well as in their start menu. There is a shortcut that is in the executable that contains the custom icon for the database. This too works fine. I just don't have a clue as to how to get it onto the desktop and start menu. My goal is to not have to have the end user find it and copy and paste it themselves.
Thanks,
Leesha

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:01
Just curious, have you tried copying the shortcut from your app package to the user's desktop and start folders?

Leesha16

Local time
Just curious, have you tried copying the shortcut from your app package to the user's desktop and start folders?
I tried creating an executable file with winzip to place it on the desktop but kept getting errors. The rest of the files etc. deploy without any issue. There are 4 main folders and then subfolders within some of those. There is a field that is changed each time the database is set up to be deployed. Then the user creates a new zip / executable. It goes pretty quickly. When I've looked at the software recommended here (SamLogic and SSE) and that I found in my search, the setup of the of the executable is quite involved and I don't see that it allows individual folders. I'm sure it does but I stopped trialing when I realized how long it takes to set up. Using winzip is quick and works well with the exception the shortcut piece. I read a suggestion somewhere about using a .bat file, but I don't know how to write one.

Mike Krailo

Local time
I'm with moke123 on this one. SSE Setup is the way to go for a clean and professional deployment.

Leesha16

Local time
I'm with moke123 on this one. SSE Setup is the way to go for a clean and professional deployment.
Do you happen to know if a new one needs to be created each time a file is changed?
Thanks!
Leesha

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:01
Do you happen to know if a new one needs to be created each time a file is changed?
Thanks!
Leesha
Yes, there is an option to deploy an update, rather than a fresh install.

Leesha16

Local time
Yes, there is an option to deploy an update, rather than a fresh install.
Just tested it and it is really pretty awesome and easy. Thanks to all for the recommendation. The only issue I'm having is the box that is referred to to choose an icon for the shortcut is not there and I can't figure out how to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom