Question Create a unique serial number for an application (1 Viewer)

bradford8481

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:03
* I want to distribute an application I put together. I’ll need to create a unique serial number. I know this has been discussed before. I’ve found there are several different solutions here and I thought up another one. But, I’m not sure of some of the logistics. I’m going to attach a flow chart to get the idea of where I’m going with this.

Here’s what I want and don’t want…
I want a unique Serial Number.
I don’t want the User to be able to just give the app to a friend and use his serial number.
I want the web site to handle most of the process.
That’s not much to ask….Right?

OK, Here’s how it flows. I have my laser pointer out so you can follow along.
1)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The User downloads the application and installs it. They will get a trial period.
2)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]After the trial period ends they will be prompted with a message that says the trial period has ended. Do they want to purchase? If NO, we’re done.
3)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]If YES, here we go.
a.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Get the hard drive serial number.
b.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Send the User and the hard drive serial number to the web site.
c.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]At the web site, have the User fill out their personal information. Store that and the hard drive serial number here for future use.
4)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]User pays at this point via PayPal or credit card.
5)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]After payment conformation…
a.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The web site will generate a random 10 digit number.
b.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Next, get the 5 digits from the right side of the hard drive serial number.
c.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Create the Application Serial Number now. The format is…
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]i.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]RRRRRRRRRR-SSSSS
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]ii.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Where RRRRRRRRRR is the random number and SSSSS is the 5 right digits of the hard drive serial number.
6)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Web site sends the User an email with newly created Application Serial Number.
7)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The User enters the Application Serial Number into the application.
8)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]From that point on, at start up, the application will check the right 5 digits of the hard drive serial number to the right 5 digits of the Application Serial Number.
9)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]If they match, open the application
10)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]If the don’t match. Ask the User to contact us for Serial Number validity.
a.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]They’ll need to contact us so we can verify they have already purchased the application.

OK, logistics questions go here…
When I send the User to the web site, can I also send that User’s hard drive information with it? I know how to get the hard drive serial number.

How does it look. What am I missing?
Any help and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Application_Unique_Serial_Number.doc
    91.5 KB · Views: 439

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:03
So long as you are informing the user ahead of time that you are collecting system information to be submitted during the registration process you should be OK.

Things to keep in mind, what happens if your website goes down or your company goes out of business? Will you have some sort of unlocking mechanism in that case to allow your users to continue using your product, or are they stuck with software that can't be used if the parent company no longer exists?

I've seen both models in the real world and I much prefer knowing that a piece of software I'm using will continue to work even if the company that made it goes away.

Boro

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:03
I think that you include all needed. Just write licence agreement. In licence agreement i wrote that data base is purchased in condition as is
and that aditional services should be paied

Engr. Clement

Local time
Today, 01:03
What I think u need is not the way u analyzed it. It is surpose to to be somewhat like this. The user download ur program, uses it for a period of time or count and after then, it expires and ask for a license. If he or she so desires, should just place a call to u or send a mail to u. when all financial moderlity is concluded by ur demand, u send him or her a code to activate the software base on the information he or she gives u that your program detected from his or her board. If this is what u want, then I might be able to help u.

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:03
Hi

Sagekey is perfect for this unless you're great at asp. I use it for a near identical thing as you describe. My code collects the serial number and sends it to a server when validated. After this, the app gets the server data when opened and checks against the current serial. If they don't match, it doesn't open.

Sagekey.com

regs

Nigel

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom