Creating my own form wizard (1 Viewer)

David Mack

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:23
I have been developing a "survey wizard" for use in my company. There are three sections needed in each custom form as follows:

1) The form header contains general information for each survey.
2) The form detail holds the questions and answers for each survey
3) The form footer holds the command buttons specific to the particular survey.

Where I am at right now: I start with a blank form called frmTemplate. My code then takes info from a table the user fills out and creates all the applicable controls and code for the detail section of the form. This includes number of questions, question type, question text, control help tips, Option groups to store answers, comment fields associated with specific sections of the survey etc. This was the toughest thing to do so far but it works very well! and beats hard coding forms when users change their minds!

I know I have a long way to go to a final product which automates the entire process. What I really want to do now is to create a "template" questionnaire, one for each of the approximately 12 surveys. Each specific template would contain the general information needed for each survey header (all of the custom controls), the appropriate command buttons in the footer, and general basic form code.

Here's the way I would like it to work in this version:

1) User selects which type of survey he wants <code then selects the correct template form which has a blank detail section>
2) My code, which already works, then populates the detail section of the template with question specific user supplied data.
3) The final survey form is then created by performing a "save as" on the template, thus avoiding hitting the limit of:

"Number of controls and sections you can add over the lifetime of the form or report: 754" controls (from the help facility).

Also, I've checked the Sys Tables and cannot find where the "number of controls currently in the lifetime of a form" is stored.

I do not have the time right now to be able to create each customized header and footer by code (a true wizard). That's the next step.

I'd appreciate any direction or advice while working on this interim solution.

Dave Mack

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom