Custom collection from TableDefs collection (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 05:40
Greetings everyone,

I have about 10 tables that I need to export to an external DB - Linking is not an option

I think if I made a collection of Tables then I could do something like:

Code:
For Each tdf In myCollectionOfTables
        DoCmd.TransferDatabase acExport, "Microsoft Access", "\\ExternalDb", _
                                   acTable, tdf.Name, tdf.Name, False
Next tdf

I assume this would be the best way to do this - I thought of making a table to hold the table's names and then loop through a recordset but thought this way would be better.

I have tried to add the tables but I keep getting syntax errors - is this even possible?

As always, I am open to suggestions and I thank you in advance!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Also you may want to look at a dictionary object instead of a collection. Depending on the things you want to do, it may provide some advantages. Easy to check if something exists. Easy to get a collection of the keys.
Not sure what you mean by this? What is a dictionary object?

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:40
You might want to do research on arrays, collections, dictionaries, recordsets for their differences, advantages, disadvantages.

However, don't think you really need it for this procedure.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
You might want to do research on arrays, collections, dictionaries, recordsets for their differences, advantages, disadvantages.
I started to do this with a Collection and then an Array but looping through a recordset was all that was needed. Things didn't become clear until I actually started writing the code and I asked myself "WHY are you making this so hard??"

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I thought of making a table to hold the table's names and then loop through a recordset but thought this way would be better.

I'm not sure why you think creating a new collection would be better than a table. Certainly it is proving to be more difficult but sometimes KISS is best. june's suggestion of a suffix is fine if that doesn't interfere with anything that already exists. Or, if the BE is linked, you can create additional links with a prefix or a suffix and use that in your criteria.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I'm not sure why you think creating a new collection would be better than a table.
I don't anymore. Having never used the Transfer Database to export an object, I looked up some code and saw Daniel Pinault's example which used the TableDefs collection, I got wrapped around the axle on this was how you HAD to do it.

It has been a day...

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:40
I would have a table, and populate it with your table names.
Add a field called "export", and then just iterate the table for the fields set to export=true

Alternatively, you could run the process on all tables, and add a y/n msgbox before exporting each table.

Depends how many tables you have, and how frequently you need to do this, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom